Teleconverters

Samsonite

Do teleconveters reduce sharpness / image quality? I know that there are some cheap ones on the market, and im sure that they arent made from quality glass, but I'm not referring to those, I'm referring to genuine nikon ones....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk!

gqtuazon

Gear Head
You can achieve almost no reduction in image quality with the Nikon 1.4TC.

You will see reduction in image quality when you use the 1.7 and 2x TC. To compensate, you will need to stop down or 2.

Samsonite

Just read the user manual for my 70mm - 300mm and it says its not compatible with any teleconverters :( any idea why?

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Just read the user manual for my 70mm - 300mm and it says its not compatible with any teleconverters :( any idea why?

It's because of the design of the Nikon TC which protrudes and will hit the rear element of the Nikon 70-300mm lens. Nikon TCs are compatible at a minimum Nikon 70-200mm f2.8, Nikon 105mm f2.8 micro lens, and Nikon 300mm f4 lenses. See link below (accessories :D)for further details.

AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III from Nikon

crashton

I think there's a bit of confusion here. The Nikon 80-200 f2.8 is not a vr lens. The 70-200 F2.8 is availible 2 ways, vr I & vr II.

Buying a used 70-200 f2.8 vr I as stangman98 suggests will save you a lot of money. A TC E II 1.4 Teleconverter will work wonderfully with that lens.

Samsonite

I suppose for Motorsport Photography a VR version would be better suited though, especially for panning shots.... Has anyone tried the 70 - 200 with a 1.7 or 2.0 teleconverter?

Samsonite

I think there's a bit of confusion here. The Nikon 80-200 f2.8 is not a vr lens. The 70-200 F2.8 is availible 2 ways, vr I & vr II.

Buying a used 70-200 f2.8 vr I as stangman98 suggests will save you a lot of money. A TC E II 1.4 Teleconverter will work wonderfully with that lens.

Thanks for clarifying that, as you can see, im very new to this. Mixed up the 70 - 200 with the 80 - 200!

crashton

I suppose for Motorsport Photography a VR version would be better suited though, especially for panning shots.... Has anyone tried the 70 - 200 with a 1.7 or 2.0 teleconverter?

I used a TC 1.7 for a while, but found I didn't need that much reach. The image was degraded some, but not much. The TC 2.0 is really not a good option. You'll give up 2 stops of light & the images will suffer from using the TC 2.0. There is a new version, the TC 2.0 III that is supposed to delive good images, but you'll still lose 2 stops of light.

We are all learning friend, no worries.

Last edited:

crashton

skvLTD- Looking at my TC1.4EII, the front element pordruds out a bit. Looks to me like the it would quite possibly come into contact with the rear element of the 70-300. Nikon says they are not comatable, so I do not use it. Me thinks that could be a costly mistake if one did....

STM

Teleconverters can degrade IQ but the excellent ones by Nikon have a minimal effect. Judge for yourself, this was taken with a D700 and my 300mm f/2.8 ED-IF AIS Nikkor and a TC-300 (2x) teleconverter and a monopod. As the saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words:

16871872-lg.jpg

crashton

The TC-300 & 300 f2.8 are a match made in heaven. The TC-300 was made for that lens.

I agree Nikon makes some good Tele converters, but the TC-2.0 isn't one of their best. I understand the TC 2.0 III is much better, but haven't shot with it yet.

Wonderful image Scott.

STM

The TC-300 & 300 f2.8 are a match made in heaven. The TC-300 was made for that lens.

I agree Nikon makes some good Tele converters, but the TC-2.0 isn't one of their best. I understand the TC 2.0 III is much better, but haven't shot with it yet.

Wonderful image Scott.

Thanks!

A match made in Heaven indeed, but it is no slouch on the 600mm f/4 either, provided you have very sturdy support!

16825252-lg.jpg

Last edited: