Tokina 16-28mm 2.8 vs Nikon 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5 G

Project Jayden

Looking for a wide angle lens for my d600. I did my research and it seems like these are the best options for around $800 or less that are sharp with little distortion. I do a lot of event coverage for car shows but i do want to get into low light photography, landscaping etc which is why the 2.8 on the tokina is very appealing. It seems price wise the the Nikon and tokina are about the same. Do you guys have personal experience with these lenses or know of a website that does a head to head comparison. (i doubt it though since the nikon is so new)

Also was considering the tamron 17-35mm but heard it wasn't as sharp. Thanks!

gqtuazon

Gear Head
The Tokina might be ok but the problem is that it doesn't accept filter to protect the protruding front element.

With that budget, I would consider a used Nikon 16-35mm f4 VRII. No one here that I know of has experience with the Nikon 18-35mm f3.5-5.6 VR lens.

Other wise, for low light wide angle lens, Nikon 28mm f1.8G is a good alternative for car shows.

jwstl

The Tokina might be ok but the problem is that it doesn't accept filter to protect the protruding front element.
I don't find that a compelling reason to eliminate the Tokina. Most modern lenses don't need protection-even protruding ones- and adding one for that reason is not worthwhile. Now, if you said the protruding front element won't accept CPs and other useful filters I can see that as a possible reason if that's important to your style.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I don't find that a compelling reason to eliminate the Tokina. Most modern lenses don't need protection-even protruding ones- and adding one for that reason is not worthwhile. Now, if you said the protruding front element won't accept CPs and other useful filters I can see that as a possible reason if that's important to your style.

Well, I do and I guess it's just a wrong choice of words on my part. The bottom line is that it doesn't accept filters unless you buy the adapter which is an additional cost.

Lee filters actually sells an adaptor for the Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 but it will cost an additional $400 USD plus the CP or whatever filter you place which will add another ~$200. This is not part of the OP's budget. The lack of filter thread is one of the biggest reasons on why I don't buy any of them including fisheyes.

openshadows

Just got my lens. Took it out in the back and shot the fence at most apertures and focal lengths.
Physical - Incredibly light and reasonably compact. Very similar to the 24-85 but slightly lighter. 77mm filter size which is nice.
Optically:
Sharpness: Excellent at all focal lengths from f/3.5 (f/4.5 at 35) to f/11 with f/5.6 seeming to be the best on my sample.
Distortion: Very little noticed but haven't really checked this out yet. Definitely the least barrel distortion of any super-wide I have ever owned. No correction for distortion or CA on these samples.
CA: slight at edge of frame but easily corrected.
Below is a link to 4 full size jpegs with just normal sharpening and curves adjustment out of LR. Shot with D600. I only provided 18mm and 35mm at wide open and f/5.6 as everything else upt f/11 is pretty much the same. F/16 and smaller is good but starts to fall off a bit due to refraction.
All shots with D600 at iso 100 on tripod. This is the lens that will stay on the camera.

Nikon 18-35G - Open Shadows Photography - Michael Wilcox

Rick M

Just got my lens. Took it out in the back and shot the fence at most apertures and focal lengths.
Physical - Incredibly light and reasonably compact. Very similar to the 24-85 but slightly lighter. 77mm filter size which is nice.
Optically:
Sharpness: Excellent at all focal lengths from f/3.5 (f/4.5 at 35) to f/11 with f/5.6 seeming to be the best on my sample.
Distortion: Very little noticed but haven't really checked this out yet. Definitely the least barrel distortion of any super-wide I have ever owned. No correction for distortion or CA on these samples.
CA: slight at edge of frame but easily corrected.
Below is a link to 4 full size jpegs with just normal sharpening and curves adjustment out of LR. Shot with D600. I only provided 18mm and 35mm at wide open and f/5.6 as everything else upt f/11 is pretty much the same. F/16 and smaller is good but starts to fall off a bit due to refraction.
All shots with D600 at iso 100 on tripod. This is the lens that will stay on the camera.

Nikon 18-35G - Open Shadows Photography - Michael Wilcox

Thanks for posting! I've been waiting all month to read some user reviews! It's lloking like an excellent lens for the price. Please keep the pics and your impressions comming!