D90 Keeps shutting down

Graphicsguy

I just purchased a Nikon D90 from a guy who was upgrading to a D300. The camera appears in like new condition and is 5 months old. I went on the first shoot with the camera yesterday and I was shooting away and the camera shut down.

I am running a Nikon Battery Grip with one Nikon Battery and one after market battery in it. I took the battery grip off and ran the camera with just the Nikon battery and the shut down problem still exists. When the camera does shut down the LCD on top of the camera shows the battery is very low however when I check the battery status in the camera menu it shows that the batter has almost a full charge. This happens with and without the Grip. I took it to the local camera store today and they said it looked as if maybe one of the contacts may be a little out of line and the recommend sending the camera back to Nikon$$$$$:(

Any suggestions on what might be wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Graphicsguy

Yes I have tried Different Batteries with the same results. I am taking my D90 into the local service center on Monday. I will be sure to post on the group what Nikon had to do to fix the problem.

Graphicsguy

Hi Everyone

Just an update. I have been browsing the Internet and I have found serveal sites talking about the serious issue. It seems to also be a problem with the D-300. I am taking my camera into the Nikon repair center in my area tomorrow and I will come back and post what I found out from there in this forum. Wish me luck.

MwCapel

i really feel that it happens when a camera is over used and not properly taken care of as in over heating and not giving the camera small rests in between numerous photos. i have had my d90 for a good while now. i hope all works out.

Graphicsguy

It is not from over use. I don't take any more photos than normal at any given time.

If you take time and review this problem Shutting Down problem on the Internet as I have done over the past several days yo will see this is a very common problem with Nikons bot D90 and 300.

The are attributing the problem to three areas , Lens not seating correctly on the camera, memory card issues and possible battey problems. I have the camera in for repair as of this morning and hope to have the problem resloved by the end of this week. I will let the group know what answers I get from the Authorized Nikon Repain Center.

Last edited:

Graphicsguy

Hi All

I wanted to let you all know I picked up my D90 from the Nikon Repair Center in Sacramento, CA this morning. They had my camera for three days and were unable to recreate the intermitant shutting down I was experiencing with my D90. I had one Nikon Battery and one third party battery in my D80 Nikon Grip attached to my D90. They recommended running only Nikon Batteries to eliminate any electrical issues that might be cause by mixed batteries. I now have two new Nikon batteries running in my grip. The technician said that sometimes if the lense is not fully seated this may cause issues with the camera as well and I have read this on blogs as well.

After picking the camera today I took approx 75 photos with no shutdown. I will let you all know if the problems occures again. Thanks for all your input and suggestions.

pjl

Sounds like it's working; fingers crossed!
Can you type in the address of the shop in Sac?

I don't need a repair.
It's just good to know of a certified shop in advance.
Ya never know when a bonehead moment will strike...:rolleyes:

Graphicsguy

The name of the Company is California Precision Services Inc. 1714 28th Street Sacramento, CA 95815-6920 Phone 916-451-1330. They also do Lens repair and sensor cleaning. Good number to keep handy.

pjl

Thanks mucho, Jim!
I've heard of a pretty decent camera shop in Roseville.
Action Camera, 1000 Sunrise Blvd. #4B.
Has some good reps from a couple long time local shooters I've spoken with.

Graphicsguy

Another Camera store in the Sacramento, CA area is Pardee's Cameras 3335 El Camino Ave Sacramento, CA 95821 916-483-2435
Open Weekdays 9:30am-6pm; Sat 10am-5pm