3-4 second delay between shots

Wilensky

Just bought my Nikon D5200 and when I have tried it there was a delay of about 3-4 second between the shots, and that, I
think is a long time.
Any help?
Thanks,
Amnon

AC016

Could you describe the conditions you were in? Daytime, nightime... What were your camera settings at the time? Please give us more information.

holyxiaoxin

Check whether if you're using timer mode? How long do you take to focus lock? It might take longer at a dark place.
Sent from my Lumia920 using Board Express

holyxiaoxin

Check whether if you're shooting at normal speed(5fps?) if you're using continuous burst instead of single shot.
Sent from my Lumia920 using Board Express

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
If you are taking pictures at night with long exposures and the noise reduction is set to "ON", the camera will take quite some time to process the image and remove the noise. This usually can take from 5 to 20 seconds in my experience.

BackdoorArts

As mentioned, I suspect exposure delay and long exposure noise reduction have something to do with it. Also, are you shooting in LiveView? There is additional time required there that can definitely add up to 3-4 seconds.

Wilensky

First, Thanks all,
I have tried all possibilities including about 20 combinations of Aperture/Shutter speed - always the there is a delay.
The photos had taken in day light.
My "exposure delay" is set to off.
The delay is composed with two clicks: the first after the shutter was realist then 3-4 second silent, and then another click at the end.
using single shot.
Thanks,
Amnon

Dave_W

The Dude
That's the exact sound of a shutter delay. At this point I would re-set the defaults on your camera. I'm guessing that your camera believes the shutter delay is still active.

self timer delay ...press..... mirror up ...delay ... shutter operates

often used to let the mirror vibrations subside when using very long lens

Wilensky

I have discovered one more thing: The memory access lamp lights during the delay. is that meaning that at the delay time the camera is writing down the data to the memory card? I am using Sandisk Ultra 30m/s.
Thanks,
Amnon

Wilensky

I don't think the problem is with the self timer because when I have switched from RAW to JPG the delay had reduced to 1-2 second, so the delay is a subject of the writing to the memory card, I think.
By the way, how long should it be?
Thanks,
Amnon

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I don't think the problem is with the self timer because when I have switched from RAW to JPG the delay had reduced to 1-2 second, so the delay is a subject of the writing to the memory card, I think.
By the way, how long should it be?
Thanks,
Amnon

Have you tried resetting your camera to original settings? It might also be that you have a problem with the card. Did you format the card in the camera? Have you tried a different card?

If problem persists, then I would contact Nikon customer service and try to explain your problem. They might be able to help more than we...

if you hit the shutter release it should fire instantly and if you have it in continuous it should go click click click without pause for at least 15-20 shots and then slow ..

I remember another member with the same problem maybe 4 weeks ago and it turned out to be a very simple problem.....????

BackdoorArts

Again, I need to ask, are you using LiveView or shooting through the viewfinder?! If you are in LiveView then the camera will go through steps where it delay taking the photo - press the shutter, mirror drops, shutter activates as normal, image written to card, mirror rises, LiveView is re-enabled (or something close to that).

Wilensky

sorry backdoorHippie, I am shooting liveview. I am novice to the digital camera and didn't Know the meaning of it.
I like your photos. I like black and white Photos. they have a magic not everyone can see. Ansel Adams is my all times favorite photographer and that brings me back 40 years to my Nikon F and Nikkormat when things was simpler, buying Ilford or Agfa or Kodak b&w film in 100 feet rolls, cutting them at home. and the nights at the lab in a little room. Memories of an old man.
Taking photos from the viewfinder are very fast.
Thanks,
Amnon