new to this

claira

hi all, I just purchased the d3200 after using Nikon Coolpix 5700 for many years. with it being another Nikon some setup options are similar but I have a few problems. I am reading the book and trying to remember what it says. First of all the lens is in A MODE so I gather should move in or out automatically when taking pictures but what ever option on the dial I choose from auto to P the lens shows no movement, it takes the picture but if I want to zoom in or out I have to turn it manually, is this normal. Also if I am in any mode other than auto the flash does not pop up even though it is set on the info screen. lens in standard 18-55vr that came as kit. Sorry if my questions seem stupid just need some advice, thanks in advance.

RockyNH_RIP

hi all, I just purchased the d3200 after using Nikon Coolpix 5700 for many years. with it being another Nikon some setup options are similar but I have a few problems. I am reading the book and trying to remember what it says. First of all the lens is in A MODE so I gather should move in or out automatically when taking pictures but what ever option on the dial I choose from auto to P the lens shows no movement, it takes the picture but if I want to zoom in or out I have to turn it manually, is this normal. Also if I am in any mode other than auto the flash does not pop up even though it is set on the info screen. lens in standard 18-55vr that came as kit. Sorry if my questions seem stupid just need some advice, thanks in advance.

Claira, Welcome to Nikonites... You will find you most likely will need to live with your manual for a while!! :)

Regarding the A on the lens, that is for Auto Focus. You still must zoom in or out manually, there is no magic button to zoom like on most point & shoots..

Regarding the flash... Full Auto it determines when it needs a flash and pops up automatically. Any other mode (other than manual) you need to determine if flash is required and activate it to pop up. That is normal for your DSLR..

I hope you find this helpful.. again, Welcome to Nikonites!

Pat in NH

PapaST

Welcome to the site. I hope you take the time to get familiar with your camera. It's a great one and capable of many great pictures. Just like what RockyNH said you will have to zoom in and out manually. For smaller lighter point and shoot cameras an "auto"/electric zoom in and out is normal. But for a DSLR it's next to impossible. The lens elements are larger/heavier and would require too much torque for the battery to handle. And it would be an unnecessary waste of battery life. Especially for some of the larger lenses.

Roy1961

Contributor
hi claira, welcome to the forum, the main thing i learnt from here was to put your camera in Manual mode and shoot away, now you will get lots of pure black shots then all white ones, some that look like they where taken during an earhquake :D, tip is to put your dial in auto and read what the camera is using as F stop and Shutter speed etc, then switch back to manual and apply those settings and go from there, it took me a couple of weeks to figure it out, i am no means perfect yet, but learning from my mistakes, yes it will be frustrating but worth it in the long run, also look at other peoples photos to see what settings they have used.

Good luck and have fun, looking forward to seeing your shots.

claira

thanks roy1961 did what you suggested just want to check settings with you. in auto they are 1/15 AND F5 these are what I have set in manual mode as they are what is in auto. Do these sound right to you thanks.

STM

Wilkommen!

I think you will find that you have a lot of photographic opportunities opened to you once you progressed beyond the CP 5700.

thanks roy1961 did what you suggested just want to check settings with you. in auto they are 1/15 AND F5 these are what I have set in manual mode as they are what is in auto. Do these sound right to you thanks.

At that slow a shutter speed you are going to have problems hand holding the shot. Either use a flash or a lower aperture. A lit depends on what lens you are using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Roy1961

Contributor
try it and see claira, as Don said your shutter speed (1/15) is a little slow, may need to bump it up a little (1/60?). Take a few shots of the same subject at different speeds and Fstops to see the difference.