Sigma telephoto +teleconverter 2.0

stmv

I personally find that when I go beyound 1.5 in tele converters, I am less satisfied with the results, I know that the light is reduced by a fstop, but darn, I swear my sharpness is reduced too (even on tripod), so, I prefer to stay away from the teleconvertors,

Although I hear that the 1.4 matched with the Nikkor 300mm is like a dream (so,, I'll be picking one of those up).

but, would find it hard to believe that the zoom would be better, unless for some reason that particular sigma prime was a dog, which I doupt.

as far as aperature, comes down to trade-offs, you are already giving up an fstop, and if you are forced to step down, and have to boost the ISO up too much introducing noise, you might be better off with the shallower fstop and lower ISO, depends on your camera.

Personally, I like to hang between F8-F11 on the majority of my shots, unless,,

1. I intentionally want the shallow dof

or

2. I am trying to reduce light to the max for the dreamy water effects and or light trails.

BackdoorArts

My brother shoots his 120-300mm with a 2X on a Canon with no problem. He just sold it to pay for the new 120-300mm that's just about to ship. He uses it mainly for sports with a newspaper, so we're not talking pixel-peeping quality. But I'm impressed with what I've seen of it.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Be sure to read the lens compatibility if you intend to use the Nikon TC. Not all lenses will be compatible.

With that said, I was just trying my Nikon 300mm f4 with the Nikon 2x TCII on a D7000. I was testing my tripod to see how well it handles any micro vibration when using shutter speed less than 1/20. With a razor thin dof at f8, the results varied when using regular actuation, timer, remote and mirror up. The best practice must be utilized when using longer lenses and lower shutter speed.

At f8, AF was nearly impossible with the D7000. This might be doable with the D7100, D600, D800 and D4.

With that said, here is a sample using that combo.

D7000 + 300mm f4 + Nikon 2x TC, f10, 1/10, ISO 2500, SB 900
(approx 900mm FOV).

D80 by gqtuazon, on Flickr

Last edited:

micloi

I used the 120-300 os with the 2x converter and quality stopped down 1/3 of a stop (f6.3) was very very good.

The zoom is so much better than the prime due to being a much newer design and, in addition to sharpness, it also provides a very good optical stabilization mode of approximately 4 stops.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

daredevil123

I am actually toying with the idea of getting the Sigma 120-300/2.8 version 2 or the coming Sport series (version 3). Seems like IQ is pretty good. I have to get out and shoot more before GAS hits again...