So would you

SkvLTD

I'd just learn to be more attentive and careful and lug 7000 around. Why opt for lesser quality and a second cam when you already have something way better?

Else, 18-105 for 190 is a bit steep, and batteries aren't compatible, so...

fotojack

I'd grab it for that price. The D70 is still a good camera. And like nikonpup said, the lens alone is worth more. ($225 here in Calgary) Besides...it's always nice to have a backup camera. :)

Make sure it comes with the charger for those batteries!

crycocyon

I actually got my D7000 for my wife to use as well so she wouldn't keep bugging me to use the D700 I had at the time :eek:. So basically it is the camera she takes to parties, shopping, etc. with her friends and I don't worry about it. It is a rugged little camera and fairly compact for a Nikon DSLR. When I take it along for just candid stuff I just put the kit lens on it and put it in a Lowepro Toploader 50 AW and tuck it under my arm.

And if you are serious about photography, every time you go out is to take pics, and there just happen to be other events going on as well. ;) You earned that camera, now go out and use it and enjoy it!

That being said, I haven't used the D70 but my guess is that those older cameras have fewer features so should be easier to use than the D7000 by a significant margin.

snaphappy

Ok thanx guys maybe I'm not so insane hehe There's been quite a few times when leaving my 7000 in the vehicle would be a bad idea but missed out on shots. Or for about a week I wouldn't take it outside because the ice was so bad that even with cleats I had a hard time staying on my feet but the ice would have made for some neat shots. I thought 18-105mm would be a good range even though I've read it's not as good as the 18-55mm but then quite often 55mm isn't enough reach. Maybe I'll look into it and see what condition it is in. Oh it has manual, a video, cords, charger etc Maybe if I had 2 cameras hubby might give it a try and I could get into a picture... Yah probably not :)

fotojack

Whoever told you the 18-105 isn't as good as the 18-55 lied! It's just as good if not better, IMHO. Besides, it has the range that includes everything the 18-55 has. :)

SkvLTD

Why don't you just go ahead and grab the deal. Could be one of those great budget buys you'll grow to like/have A backup of sorts.

Geoffc

I sold my D70 last week. I wanted to think it still had a place for nostalgic reasons so I went to the park to take some photos.

When I got home I looked at them and concluded I probably wouldn't use it as I have the D300s, D800 and a P7100 all of which would be better for where I use them.

I sold it to a student to finish her portfolio as hers had blown up the day before. I felt that at least it would go out in style (she was doing fashion photography). I got £85 for body only which seemed good. Next year I predict it will be worth half that and so on.

piperbarb

Having a second camera is really a good idea. I kept my D3000 after I purchased the D7000. I carry it just about everywhere. It is small, light, and can fit in my purse, along with my knitting. Yes, I use a very, very large purse. When I was still using film, I always had at least 2 camera bodies and carried one with me no matter where I went. I started that habit in college.

I do not know much about the D70 but it should definitely give you better images than a P&S.

I would get it if it's in good condition, and as Jack said, has the charger, etc. with it. As a couple of people have said, it's worth it for the lens, alone.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
My brother still uses my old D70s with great results. He mostly takes pictures of his family and pets. Beats the heck out of a point and shoot!

Mully

I have 2 D70..... One I converted to IR and love the results. The other one I use with old Nikor prime lenses. I have made 20x24 prints with the D70 and they look good...... Buy it! You won't be unhappy.