D600 Lens

togmorris

Hi Guys,

Nice to meet you all, this is my first post on here.

I am within grabbing distance of a new D600, however one thing is holding me back. The lens.

I currently use the D5100 with the AF-S VR DX 18-105 lens, and have gotten used to this size. My work comprises anything from portraits to machinery, architecture and so on (I am apprenticed with a pro) so I need a good 'all rounder'

As yet, I cannot afford a variation of lenses, as I have laid out a lot for other kit, and will be laying out for the D600 too, so I need just one lens.

So, do you think the 24-85 kit lens packaged with the body is a good option to get the best from full frame on a budget, or are there other options that may suit me better, and perhaps be more cost effective if I go body only and buy the lens seperate?

Many Thanks,

Adam

Rick M

My first Fx lens with the D600 was the 50mm 1.8g. If you need a zoom, the 24-85 is good, but won't match the quality of a prime.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
The 50 1.8 G+ 85 1.8 G would cost you more than the 24-85, but I think you'd get better quality with them than with the zoom. If you want to go pro, save your money and get the trinity: 14-24, 24-70 and 70-200 all 2.8s. Otherwise, the 16-35 and 24-120 F4 but with VR are good quality, produce great IQ and are cheaper. It's all a question of money and priorities.

togmorris

Thanks everyone. I have found an option which has both the 24-85 and the 50mm 1.8 G (are these both FX lenses which make the best of the full frame D600?) in in one package - might be the answer. Still trying to get my head round swapping lenses on the hop when I eventually have 'the trinity' as mentioned above.

I also do a fair bit of street photography, so really do need an all in one versatile lens!

Also, I have never used a prime lens, as in the 50 & 85 mentioned - I have visions of myself running back and forth to 'zoom'!!

Also, came across this, but not sure if it would be too old to work with the D600 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130875141484?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Thanks,

Adam

Last edited:

Mfrankfort

If you need to zoom, take a few steps foreword, or a few steps backwards. Voila... zoomed. The 50mm 1.8G is a great lens, and for the price, you can't beat it.

stmv

my vote is the 24-85 with a 105 macro,,

but ... you have a D600! so the entire catalog of used lens are available, so so many great choices when you buy used!

better bang for the buck.

nikonpup

get the 50mm 1.8 g your 18-105 will work with your d600 in fx or dx mode. In dx it show a box for framing in fx no box. You get a little extra in fx mode. 18 - 105 FX DX 001.jpgFX DX 004.jpgFX DX 008.jpg

gqtuazon

Gear Head
The 50 1.8 G+ 85 1.8 G would cost you more than the 24-85, but I think you'd get better quality with them than with the zoom. If you want to go pro, save your money and get the trinity: 14-24, 24-70 and 70-200 all 2.8s. Otherwise, the 16-35 and 24-120 F4 but with VR are good quality, produce great IQ and are cheaper. It's all a question of money and priorities.

These are great recommendations. For FX beginners, prime lenses are the more affordable lens with great performance but if you prefer a zoom lens, 24-120mm f4 has the "ideal" range which is equivalent to the Nikon 16-85mm on DX.

Geoffc

I have the 24-120 and it spends more time on the camera than anything else. Not the same range but has replaced my 18-200 DX when I went FX.

NVSteve

I have the 24-120 and it spends more time on the camera than anything else. Not the same range but has replaced my 18-200 DX when I went FX.

Ditto. The 24-85VR I got with my D600 was only a stop-gap measure until I had time to research options. Unfortunately (or fortunately rather) it had a massive decentering issue & had to go back to Nikon. Before I sent it in, I picked up the 24-120 because that is the zoom range I am accustomed to. I don't need 2.8 in that range & have a couple of primes to deal with those situations when I do actually need more light gathering. Anyway, Nikon ended up shipping me a new 24-85 and it is really good. Perfect size for all my hiking and backpacking, but the 24-120 stays on the camera the majority of the time now. Zooms are my bread and butter, as I typically can't physically move a few steps forward or back, especially if I'm on a narrow trail somewhere.

Cowboybillybob1

If you want to go pro, save your money and get the trinity: 14-24, 24-70 and 70-200 all 2.8s. Otherwise, the 16-35 and 24-120 F4 but with VR are good quality, produce great IQ and are cheaper. It's all a question of money and priorities.

I don't want to hijack this thread and think the OP would do well with the 50mm 1.8 prime as a first FX lens.

I was going to buy the 17 -35mm 2.8 Nikon lens. It seems the extra mm to 35mm will make it much more versitile than the 14-24. It sort of makes it more capable than doing just landscape stuff. I was also thinking of returning a Sigma 24-70 in favor of a similar Nikon, "The Beast", a 28-70 2.8.

The Sigma really is an excellent lens and at $850 it's a great buy. Is the Nikon 28-70 that much better at about $1700?

crycocyon

If I got a D600 I would get it with that kit lens. That is a very good lens and there's a reason why Nikon matched it to the high resolution of the D600. It has both ED and aspherical elements, so it is no slouch. Apart from some barrel distortion, it is very sharp. If you are keeping up with a pro, you need the speed and flexibility of a zoom lens. If you were just shooting on your own time I would agree on the 50 mm prime.

togmorris

The pro I'm working with uses C@&*n :hopelessness: haha!

Well, I finally went for it. I now have the 24-85 f/3.5-4.5G ED VR and the 50mm f1.8G

We had a long shoot last night in a huge marquee with low ambient light, so they both got thoroughly tested to the tune of around 500 shots. The 24-85 is a great walkaround and works beautifully. The 50mm fits better when you have more time to compose and aren't surrounded by a couple of hundred people all moving, dancing and regrouping. All in all pretty happy. Next purchase a telephoto up to maybe 200. Then I pretty much have the 'trinity'

Last edited:

Spyshadow

Hi Adam,

I'm also a newbie on this forum & just joined a couple of minutes ago. Everyone of us has it's own preferences when it comes to lenses! I'm a prime lens shooter & very seldom I use my medium zoom lenses only during party & gatherings with my friends, but most of the time I prefer fixed lenses. D600 sensor is phenomenal and better feeding it with high quality glasses to get fantastic result. I'm not discouraging you to get that kit lens 24-85VR with variable speed, if that may suit you & your budget, for sure it will give you decent photos, but remember you have a full frame camera capable of producing high quality pictures. Try not to be in a hurry and save for the professional lenses & I tell you, you will not regret as you when you get kit lenses...again this is just a piece of advice. Enjoy shooting as this is what matters most!

Cheers,

Last edited:

Epoc

I just bought a new 24-85VR for a stop gap walkaround lens for my D700. I gotta say, this would have to be the best "kit" lens Nikon have produced. I paid $400 and am as happy as a pig in poo :) Down the track I'd like to get the Nikon 24-70/2.8 and reckon when I do, I'll get every one of my $400 back!

Hey Epoc is that the FC-9E you got ..looks like one in the picture ..got mine for abut A$100 quite rare....works brilliant on interiors.....These taken on an old D80 with tamron Zoom 18-200...I dont take my good stuff on holiday..!! Currently on the front of my 10=20 sigma at 20 mm ..
Notice how the circle is not central to the frame ?? Now why did nikon offset the sensor by a cople of mm ??

Attachments

• compimage.jpg
    compimage.jpg
    487.1 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:

Epoc

Nah mate, it's a Nikkor 8mm 2.8. Awesome lens. Cost me a motza. Use it for my work. Many, many moons ago I had the FC-8E hooked up to a Coolpix 950. Got me started and made me some good money, but as soft as a marshmallow :) Didn't you say you had an 8mm 2.8? That's what I asked you via PM.

tmcguire17

You made a great choice with the 24-85 vr. It takes great sharp images and with the high iso capability of the D600 you'll use it most of the time. I love my primes but sometimes hate carrying my bag so on it goes. Also does a fantastic job on my F5! Delta 400 and the 24-85 and I get sharp images at 1/6 shutter speed.