How disappointing.

Megharupa

Okay, 4000 shots on a D600 6 weeks old. Several spots clear as day. Nikon's solution is to send it to them and wait 7 to 10 days plus shipping there and back.

Nikon warranty is pitiable at best and the customer service is just as poor.
It would seem it would be better to have local camera dealers do warranty work considering the value of the product.

Or just invest in the proper equipment and do it yourself.

I have a D5000 with 30k + shots. No dust issue.

Don't buy this D600

Last edited by a moderator:

BackdoorArts

I understand your frustration. I had my D600 show spots after 300 shots on the first day I had it. Disappointing, yes, but the image quality is worth the hassle.

The reason you can't just take this to a local dealer is that the issue seems to not just dust but something in the shutter mechanism itself that not only exudes oil onto the sensor making the dust stick, but something within the mechanism seems to be creating the "dust" particles you're seeing. So it's not just a matter of cleaning but of replacing the shutter. You can clean it yourself, but eventually you will want to have it serviced. Better to do it sooner than later just in case it happens again (I have not heard that this has recurred after the repair). Mine was sent to Nikon 17 days ago and waited almost 2 weeks for the part to come in (they had run out). It's on a UPS truck and will be in my hands by sundown. A shame to have to wait, but a week from now I won't care (provided it doesn't happen again) because the camera is that good.

AC016

If you are unhappy with Nikon's solution, you could always invest in a cleaning kit and do it yourself. Or, take it to a local dealer and have them clean it. You have another camera, so you are not really without a camera. But, yes, i understand that it sucks that you have to send in the camera after only 6 weeks. Though, i don't think that this is a reason to not buy the camera. Good luck :)

I had a problem with my first nikon it was not as sharp as it should have been. I sent it back and when it came back it was worse than before. Long story short BestBuy just exchanged it for a new one and it was great all the way up to where I dropped it and shattered the case beyond repair. Got the next model up and love it.
The wait will be worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

stmv

so agree, when people spend over 2K on a camera, results should be 99.5% perfect, I have owned 8 nikon SLRs, and have never had an issue, but knock on wood, I know both my D7000 and D800 have suffered their own issues. Really makes me wonder if Nikon is getting too lean in their engineering quality control groups.

I also think you are going to want to invest in a cleaning kit, because most likely the D600 will be prone to oil spots/dust, and sending back to Nikon is not a viable option.

Also, if you have a local shop,, establish a relationship. I have a local shop, and every 12 months, I have them do a full clean (around 100 dollars).

best of luck.

Megharupa

Thank you for the reply's

Can someone recommend a good cleaning kit to do this job correctly?

What is best??/ Wet cleaning?/ Dry Cleaning?

What is a good shutter inspection tool? / magnifying Glass??

And perhaps some good Youtube links on (How to)

regards

BackdoorArts

As stated in a separate thread, there are several threads on cleaning, including links to videos. Best bet is to get a good bulb blower and blow the sensor clean and check it first. Don't blow with your mouth (introduces moisture) or use canned air (could damage the sensor). Often that's enough to get it clean early on. That was good enough for me 9 times out of 10, and when it wasn't I'd wet clean (did 3 of those before I shipped it out).

Spyshadow

Wet cleaning is my last resort & it's a very easy job as long as you followed the instruction carefully. Luckily, my D600 never had this issue since I bought it last year, the sensor was perfectly clean, my dealer told me that this comes from a new batch of D600 straight out from the factory, after 3K clicks, still in perfect condition. Don't bother with dust issue and no sensor is 100% dust free. Dust is an integral part of photography since film days...enjoy shooting and this is what matters most.

Cheers!