50mm Lens

marcelt

Hi there, which lens would you recommend for an FX body camera and a DX body between the AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G and the AF Nikkor 50mm f/1:1.4D ? The camera bodies would be either a Nikon D300s or a Nikon D600 ?

stmv

some bias out there for the G version,, I personally like the 1.4D which I own (own both 1.8, and 1.4 D versions). the build quality is solid and more compact then the G version.

I have a variety of 50 mm from 1.2, 1.4, 1.8, and 2.0,, each have their quirks and advantages.

Often when I just want to throw a 50mm in my pocket, it is the 2.0 or 1.8D just because both are so small and light, that you don't know they are there, until you need them.

as far as sharpness, they are all sharp except perhaps the 1.2,, but the 1.2 can create dreamy photos, and mechanically..... ah perfection.

and for disclosure, I have a bias against G lens,, unless in the larger tele (because at that point the extra area penalty is buried in the overall size of the lens anyway).

JDFlood

Don't forget to consider a 35mm. For all these years I have bought the best 50mm as my normal lens... Because, well that was the "rule of thumb"...sort of like my father's Oldsmobile. Only through really struggle trying to make it work did I come to realize a 35mm is way more appropriate for me as a "normal" lens. I don't do lots of group pictures with one through a few people. I do, landscape, street, and architecture. With the much better depth of field, way better choice for me. My 35mm f1.4 is my most used lens. JD

Epoc

50/1.8G here as well. Sharp as a tack, nice bokeh and a bargain to boot! My 1st FX lens and gets a thumbs up from me :)