Need help with add-on flash.

OvekJD

Hi - I'm new to the forum and need some informed advice on shopping for a speedlight. I have a Nikon D3200 and take a lot of indoor family portraits. When lighting is dim or low, I use the built-in flash but notice that when I'm more than 3/4 ft from the subject the pics lose a lot of detail. I was advised to add a speedlight because its more powerful and I can bouce the light of the ceiling - which makes sense.

Question is what flash to get. My budget is max $250 but in the heat of the moment almost got a new SB-700 off ebay for $320. I know the SB-400 isn't as powerful and only rotated vertically. The Sb-600 is discontinued and hard to find new. I also notice aftermarket products from Nissin, Yongnuo etc and I'm convinced that there has to be a good flash available between the SB-400 and the Sb-700 price points. I have no plans to use advanced features like wireless sync etc I just want more light and ability to point it. Looking at online reviews I could not make a decision on what to find.

If anyone could shed some 'light' on this issues I would really appreciate it. I also plan to upgrade to the D5200 or D7100 in a few months so this light has to work there too.

OvekJD

Thanks for the response. I was at first leaning towards the Sb-700 but could not justify paying that much for it. For my usage would you know if the Sb-700 is noticeably better than the Sb-600? I may very well get the SB-700 but just need to make sure I'm getting the most for my money.

YN 465 or 468 ..no problems equal to a SB 600 ..if you want to go all singing and danceing yn 565 EX

There is also the Sunpak RD 2000 which is a better version of the SB 400 being tiltable and with built in diffuser.

The trick of using lower power flash is to up your auto iso to 100-800 then you will be sure to have sufficient power.

Lurch

The local camera shop only stocks Nikon brand stuff and was hoping to pick up a flash before the week end :)
They have both the 700 and 910 in stock. The main difference between the two seems to be power output ability.
My primary use of flash work is the vary rare night event, but mostly fill-flash at indoor events (functions, that kind of thing)
Is the 900 overkill?

carguy

The local camera shop only stocks Nikon brand stuff and was hoping to pick up a flash before the week end :)
They have both the 700 and 910 in stock. The main difference between the two seems to be power output ability.
My primary use of flash work is the vary rare night event, but mostly fill-flash at indoor events (functions, that kind of thing)
Is the 900 overkill?

I'd review the many SB-700 vs SB-910 comparisons online as well as the input you'll see in this thread :D

Google: Compare Nikon SB-700 and SB-910https://www.google.com/#hl=en&gs_rn...96,d.b2I&fp=7bfa033871245053&biw=1176&bih=791

Lurch

Ended up with the 910. Figured for an extra $150 I'd rather a unit thats overkill than one where I may (however unlikely) find myself in a situation wishing it'd do something it cant :)

nikonjim

I had the same quandary when I changed from 35mm to a D90. What flash to buy???
I took the bull by the horns, dug into my savings and got an SB900. I have 2 small Flashmates from my 35mm days which I use as slaves, and this setup gives me all I need.:)

simonhodge

Ended up with the 910. Figured for an extra $150 I'd rather a unit thats overkill than one where I may (however unlikely) find myself in a situation wishing it'd do something it cant :)

Good choice, the 910 is fantastic. So good i even went and bought a used 900 to keep it company.