Nikon D300s vs Nikon D600

marcelt

Hi guys, just would like some feedback . I own both these cameras and need to let one go.I really like my D300s and is fairly new in all aspects. Does the megapixels between the two really make that much difference? I also like that the D300s is a much user friendly camera.I am just doing photos for my pleasure and the occasional family portraits,outdoor photos. Can use some imput about this guys? Thanks Marcel

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
What lenses have you got and how much money are you ready to spend on lenses? The d300s is a nice camera, but the D600 is a little smaller and probably produces better pictures at low light levels (high iso). So if you enjoy shooting with available light, the D600 will get you better results. But if you already have a few lenses that don't cover the full FX sensor and you have to buy a set of new lenses, then you'll have to consider what your bank manager says...

Enjoy your Nikon,

Marcel, the other one. :)

fotojack

If you just want a camera to do what you posted, why did you even spend money on the D600? I'd take a D300s any day of the week! What's wrong with having 12 MP? How big did you plan on blowing up any prints? Unless your D300s has over 100,000 actuations on it, I'd say keep it and enjoy it (like you always have). Sell the D600 and buy better glass for your faithful D300s. A no brainer, my friend. :)

Last edited:

marcelt

I only have the 24-70 2.8/ FX lens for the D600 . I think I only have about 20,000 actuations on my D300s . I would like to be able to print at least 16 x 20 .

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Keep the 600. With the 24-70, you'll get exceptional color depth and nice high iso results. But you didn't say what lenses you had for the D300s...

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I own both FX and DX camera, and between the two, I use the FX camera about 90% of the time. I grab my D7000 just to use it since the FX camera has DX mode.

Like what Marcel have pointed out, the images on the D600 will be cleaner. D300s high ISO would be around ISO 3200 and that's pushing it.

The D300s is Jack's dream camera so he will gladly accept it if you are willing to donate it. ;)

Last edited:

jcottone45

I have the d300s & will never part with it, though I was entertaining the idea of the d600,but can't afford both so I'll stick with ole faithful till I can upgrade, then use my d300s as a backup.I have some older film era lenses that will do just fine on the d600 or d800.

stmv

take them both out on some photo days, taking a vareity of shots from same angle/lens/etc, use the primes and also the 24-70 2.8, take them back to you secret hideout, and compare the results,

and also tradeoff which felt right in your hands..

Personally, I would lean toward the D600 for the dual slots, FX, richer range, but in reality, its the photo that matters and less the camera,

the D300 has the top meter, deeper bracket depth, a bit better build, and a pretty darn nice sensor.

or sell both,, and get the D800e ! then you will have the D300 build and no compromise image quality.

fotojack

I regularly blow up images to 16 x 20 with my D200, and it has only 10.2. MP. And yes, the D300/300s is my dream camera. How much for yours, marcelt? :) And be reasonable. I'm on a severe budget here! :)

BackdoorArts

Whether you're shooting for yourself or for profit, when you stare at a photo you've taken you want it to be the best it can be. I've not shot with the D300, but by all accounts it's a marvelous camera. But the images I've gotten from my D600 continue to impress me for their clarity and sharpness. You have a 24MP FX camera in it, but remember you also have a 10.5MP DX camera - just slightly less resolution than your D300. My recommendation is to throw the 18-105mm on both cameras, shoot the same subjects with them, and compare - apples to apples. If you see no difference then there's no reason to hold onto the D600. If you do, then I think you have your answer.

jcottone45

take them both out on some photo days, taking a vareity of shots from same angle/lens/etc, use the primes and also the 24-70 2.8, take them back to you secret hideout, and compare the results,

and also tradeoff which felt right in your hands..

Personally, I would lean toward the D600 for the dual slots, FX, richer range, but in reality, its the photo that matters and less the camera,

the D300 has the top meter, deeper bracket depth, a bit better build, and a pretty darn nice sensor.

or sell both,, and get the D800e ! then you will have the D300 build and no compromise image quality.

One minor exception here, the D300s has a dual card slot too which I am starting to appreciate now more ever than before, I do believe the D300 has only one otherwise I agree though the D800 is only a distant dream for me.

JDFlood

The larger sensor size / sensor sophistication of the D600 is huge and makes the difference whenever conditions are not perfect. As you become a better photographer the differences will become more and more evident until it is like day and night. JD