Shooting RAW is a waste of time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Re: I need examples from d3200 users

RAW waste of time unless you want to work on a small number of shots ...wedding last week 1430 shots all at large basic ....in raw a joke to process ....as long as its large no problem ..

I totally disagree. It comes down to developing an efficient workflow. If you utilize one of the many DAM tools for selection and basic edits, RAW is the only way to go. Why wouldn't you want to have the ability to make the best image possible? When I got married a couple years ago, I immediately dismissed any photographer we interviewed that did not shoot RAW.

I had my D7000 about 14 months and I still go the the manual on occasions and I still finding things out about its operation even after 30,000 shots...As for the raw discussion ...I have the imac27 (new) to do the processing but say I do it all in raw what happens next ??? It all gets adjusted and cropped and stuffed onto a DVD in jpeg taken to wallmart and printed 6x4 ....Whats the point??
Never been asked even what camera I use ...I can shoot raw and jpeg ....the customer can have the raw and I will process the jpeg !!
As for the advice that to shoot in manual is the ultimate goal CRAZY...why buy all that computer power and then go back to doing it 1960s style MADNESS ...imho

Last edited:

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod

I have the imac27 (new) to do the processing but say I do it all in raw what happens next ??? It all gets adjusted and cropped and stuffed onto a DVD in jpeg taken to walmart and printed 6x4 ....Whats the point??

You just made my point. If the photographer assumes that all I want are images to print 4x6, they aren't the one for me. My wife and I did a nice gallery print, my sister-in-law made a photobook, we had large prints of the newly combined families (parents and our siblings) made as gifts. It doesn't matter how nice of an image that was taken if it wasn't usable for anything but 4x6 prints IMHO.

Never been asked even what camera I use ...I can shoot raw and jpeg ....the customer can have the raw and I will process the jpeg !!

That surprises me actually. Compare it to a home repair. When I had to have a high ceilinged entrance painted, I asked what tools they were going to use (e.g. scaffolding versus ladder, roller versus brush, etc.). It is no different to ask a photographer what tools and process he uses to gauge their ability to meet your needs.

In our case, we negotiated that the images would be online and able to be ordered in various formats (see above) within 3-4 weeks, they would stay online for 6 months, after 6 months we would receive both the RAW and edited JPEGs with a use license and the photographer maintained copyright, if he wanted to use any of our images for marketing we had the right of first refusal. Everybody won.

And you just made my point ..if its 6000x4000 as a jpeg basic it wont print any better as a 6000x4000 jpeg fine ...and when you sent it for your photobook etc they compressed it more and only used 300 dpi anyway....Even the Italian Acerboni albums we do come from 24mp > basic jpeg files its no problem..
Try a jpg fine and a basic and zoom right in to pixel level ..no difference.

We put all photos on line within 24hrs ( 3 weeks ??? ) and send you a memory stick by monday post ....print what you like who cares been paid.

3 cameras to Lightroom .time sync the 3 .correct ..crop ..delete 40% > web and memory stick job done....

20,000+ wedding photos on my site for any potential customer to view..no passwords ..all open to view by anyone

Last edited:

Rexer John

We put all photos on line within 24hrs ( 3 weeks ??? ) and send you a memory stick by monday post ....print what you like who cares been paid.

I'd rather wait for any job than have a rush job done.
Are you sure you've never been asked what camera you use, either you didn't listen or your customers feel they cant approach you.
I think you have been in photography so long that you know everything, there's no need for you to listen or explain, you know what your customer wants, how could they know what they want, you're a professional!

Strangely enough only re started the business in Nov 2011 after a 10 year break and did 50 weddings in 2012...If I am not confident that what I am doing is right I should not be at a wedding....never see the customers before the day its all done on line ( is she 20 or 50 ?? Size 8 or 24 ?? Got any teeth? I dont know till I get there ) Brides and grooms dont know what they want which is why they look at out 20,000 photos and if they like they buy..
Its all down to price...over $750 the market drops off very fast and your 50 weddings becomes 15...biggest problem is smokers ..takes twice as long to do the photos ....
Here is a photo for the OP to ponder ( best enlarged a little)

Attachments

• compimage.jpg
    compimage.jpg
    487.1 KB · Views: 355

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod

Never see the customers before the day its all done on line ( is she 20 or 50 ?? Size 8 or 24 ?? Got any teeth? I dont know till I get there ) Brides and grooms dont know what they want which is why they look at out 20,000 photos and if they like they buy.

The professional that I used, talked with us to ensure he captured the special moments (e.g. my mother-in-law was terminally ill and made a huge effort to be there), scouted the location ahead of time and asked if we would be open for a few artistic shots if it didn't detract from our time with our guests. I'm sorry, but the approach you're describing is no different than handing out a disposable camera to everyone at the event, asking them to "take pictures", collecting them and thinking you'll have amazing results.

Lets just leave all this wedding stuff as you are totally out of touch with the wedding market certainly in this country .....
Photographs dont just happen they are arranged ...50 + happy customers ,happy bank manager whats the problem.....

I do scout the location from my google satalite and google walk past and I get there at least 1 hour early having spoken to the minister on the phone and talked at length to the bride a week before the wedding .......
This guy want to know about his 3200 so lets stick to that....
OP you have two/three usable settings P which is a fancy auto and A (aperture) in which you can select depth of field ie for boken shots. You can use manual if you let the auto iso do its own thing and adjust the exposure but then chimping would be essential.. Unfortunatly not U1 and U2 which would give you a total of 5 pre set options to match a situation

Last edited:

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod

No problem just interesting conversation. I totally admit that the approach might be a cultural difference. I'm happy it works for you and your clients.

Rexer John

Yeah, that is the bottom line Eduard.
I'm in the UK but prefer the personal service, I wouldn't hire a photographer that turned up on the day with no prior knowledge of my event which is so very special to me.

If a client doesn't want to know what they are going to get that's their problem I guess.

You dont listen do you ..I know every detail of the B and G parents divorces grand parent brothers sisters etc timings hotel grounds or church facilities only thing I dont ask is How old are you ? what size dress do you take ?? do you have good teeth ?( so you can smile ) Though I usually ask if they smoke...If you are a uk photographer with 15 weddings ask yourself why I got 50 ? Must be doing something right.. From High court judges/Lawyers/Accountants/Teachers/Gays /lesbians etc right down the scale ...works for me.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod

You dont listen do you ..I know every detail of the B and G parents divorces grand parent brothers sisters etc timings hotel grounds or church facilities only thing I dont ask is How old are you ? what size dress do you take ?? do you have good teeth ?( so you can smile ) Though I usually ask if they smoke...If you are a uk photographer with 15 weddings ask yourself why I got 50 ? Must be doing something right.. From High court judges/Lawyers/Accountants/Teachers/Gays /lesbians etc right down the scale ...works for me.

Steve, what are you trying to prove? I don't know how many times you've told us how many weddings you do per year and about your bank account. Why do you have to think you are always right?

Only you can answer to these questions. And I'm not asking you answer on this forum. I'm glad your business is doing so good, but I find your posts a little moralizing, like a preacher. I'm just saying...

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member

3 cameras to Lightroom .time sync the 3 .correct ..crop ..delete 40% > web and memory stick job done....

20,000+ wedding photos on my site for any potential customer to view..no passwords ..all open to view by anyone

So what you're saying is you don't actually do any adjusting in lightroom, just some resizing. That makes sense as to why you don't shoot raw then. But you're acting like your process should apply to everyone. That doesn't make sense.

It took my wedding photographer 3 weeks to get our photos processed, and it was obvious she spent some time on them. Some were the same shot but edited differently. They were shot in RAW - > 2000 photos from a D700 and 5d Mk II. We got around 750 shots in full resolution on a DVD.

I would be mad if just anyone could access all of my pics :disturbed:

Marcell I dont know everything just what is good for my business .I am qualified with MPA BIPP and RPS ...they say I know what I am doing.....there are some who shoot weddings at $5000 a time and do 5 a year and are quite happy...and sorry to repeat information but there is always a clique who comment on everything but many who only dip in now and again and have not read the information before ....
and no we always shoot 1stop under so all shots adjusted and cropped in lightroom...the wife can do about 1000 from a wedding in about 12 hours inc back ups etc but how can she go slower and spread it to 3 weeks ??? Not possible must have another job at the supermarket ??? Not a pro,just slow.

Reading your posts is a waste of time.

Now if I said that the moderator would be on my case as its rude and unnecessary but I suppose you will get away with it ....

Status
Not open for further replies.