How do you shoot? One eye open or both eyes open?

Do you shoot with one eye open or both eyes open?

• One eye open

Votes: 17 100.0%
  • Both eyes open

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dave_W

The Dude
I've heard from several old school photographers who say that they open both eyes when taking a photograph. Michael Freeman, one of my favorite authors, claims that all the more experienced photographers shoot with both eyes open, including himself. I've tried this several times but it just doesn't work for me. I can't tune into my one eye enough to quite down my other one.

So I thought I'd do a poll - do you shoot with one eye open or two?

Rexer John

As with most things in photography, it depends on the situation..

Framing still life in viewfinder, one eye closed.
In a situation where you are photographing an unstaged event, both open would be best.

Unless it were likely to be needed, I'd probably always close one eye for better concentration.
But using both eyes open could end up getting the shot that would have been missed.

Oh and a 35mm DX or 50mm FX would be the easiest to use with both eyes open.

BackdoorArts

I'm usually one eye, but there are times with wildlife, where I'm waiting for something to happen and move into the frame, where I'll have both eyes open - though if I think about it the one eye will close again before I press the shutter.

nikonpup

please do not mess with what few brain cells that are still active, if i have to think about what i am doing i will be in trouble. Lol

theregsy

LOL I shoot with one open when i have a single point of interest, like landscapes. I shoot with both open at gigs, festivals, live events etc so I can see what else is going on, just in case something is about to happen off shot that is interesting. Have managed to avoid beer carrying drunken people on a few occasions using the two eyes open method :)

Alan

I shoot both cameras and guns with one eye. I think the only camera I shot with both eyes was my Mamiya C330 TLR. Maybe I should try that both eyes closed thing. It might help!

ShallowShannon

I'm right handed and left eye dominant. I try to do both one eye and two open but most of the time its one eye open. My right hand kind of gets in the way with my D3100 but not so much that I can't see whats going on when both eyes are open. I had to consciously train myself to shoot a pistol with two eyes open but with rifles its one eye only because its the right eye that looks through the scope or iron sites. That's when it can become a pain being left eye dominant. (For me anyway) I can see benefits in keeping both eyes open when there's a lot of other things going on that one may need to keep an eye on. (especially if beer is involved)

This all goes back to the old days when you had the camera on a tripod and set it up looking over the camera ( hasslebald) when taking the shot to see if anyone blinked ,,,,today its take 2-3 shots and most of the time at least one will have all te eyes open......thats most of the time ...

piperbarb

You would have to make me think about that one. Actually, I shoot with one eye open. I don't think I could handle having both eyes open. One is enough, and like others have said, or agreed with, I think it's both eyes closed at times.

Deezey

When shooting birds or small animals I tend to keep both eyes open. It helps me to track the movements better. They tend to make quick darting movements and my left eye helps me zero in on those flickers of movement.

In landscapes and other static shots I only use one eye. I feel it better helps me to focus and really look at my shot through the camera. Kind of helps me tunnel vision in to the shot.

Now in crowded areas....my head is always on a swivel. It is just sometimes too dangerous to get so engrossed in the moment that you leave yourself compromised. I know of a few people that were jumped when the shot had captured them and they lost focus of their surroundings.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

piperbarb

I shoot both cameras and guns with one eye. I think the only camera I shot with both eyes was my Mamiya C330 TLR. Maybe I should try that both eyes closed thing. It might help!
Same here, except I am left-handed and right-eyed. That combination made things very difficult when my father, who had finally found a left-handed bolt action rifle for me, had to sight it in. :)

STM

I am right handed and right eye dominant but I usually shoot photography with my left eye but shoot rifles, pistols and shotguns with my right eye. Weeeerd, huh?