Best Lenses for the D800 part 2

Dave_W

The Dude
Very interesting that they rate the 70-200mm f4 better than the f2.8!!

DxOMark - The Nikon D800 and telephoto lenses

This is very interesting. It seems to be matching the pattern of newer G lenses outperforming the lenses designed 6 or so years ago. So far the 50mm and the 85mm f/1.8G all outperform the more expensive f/1.4 versions. Mansurov has also tested and shown this lens is stellar shows that it performs better than the f/2.8 on a variety of scales. What I am waiting for is the new version of the 70-200mm f/2.8 that utilizes this new design motif. I suspect that will be a legendary lens of epic proportions.
You know, I wonder when Nikon will make a 14mm f/1.8G to undercut their expensive f/1.4 version?

stmv

from what I read the 50 mm AF D tied the G,, with a 1/3 discount, and a smaller footprint/size. so, I would get the D and not the G in this case.

Dave_W

The Dude
from what I read the 50 mm AF D tied the G,, with a 1/3 discount, and a smaller footprint/size. so, I would get the D and not the G in this case.

I've not seen that review. In both Mansurov and DxO the G was superior to the D. In fact DxO shows a huge difference between the two - DxOMark - Compare lenses

Edit - Opps, sorry about that. The big difference was due to comparisons using two different cameras. When you use the same camera there difference is smaller but the G tends to lead by 2 to 3 pts. So yeah, they're both within experimental error.

Last edited:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Very interesting that they rate the 70-200mm f4 better than the f2.8!!

DxOMark - The Nikon D800 and telephoto lenses

Unfortunately, DxO has only the Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VRI and not the VRII version. The VRII version is optimized to achieve corner sharpness and it wasn't included on their test.

Co-incidentally, I used my VRII today with a 1.4 TC and I think it worked out well. Sharing some samples.

Fast pitch 030 by gqtuazon, on Flickr

Fast pitch 014 by gqtuazon, on Flickr