Spots 'n' Dots

RPorch

I have some small dark spots on the photos that I take with my D70s. I believe it is just dust on the CCDs. Is this a user fixable problem or should I take the camera to a good shop to be cleaned?? :confused:

LensWork

There are numerous devices/products that you can buy to clean the sensor yourself. I have the Visible Dust Arctic Butterfly system that worked well for me when I had my D1H/D2H cameras. I no longer use it since I now have D300 & D700 bodies. I feel it necessary to disclose that I was a compensated endorser of Visible Dust products in the past.

If you have a Nikon Authorized Repair Station (ARS) near you, they can usually clean it for about $30 (at least that's what my local ARS charged me a few years ago, and they were able to do it same day.

Another option is that if you use Nikon Capture, it has a "dust-off" feature that automatically removes the spots from the images.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
My brother uses my old D70s and I sent him this link a few months ago to show him how to use a Rocket Blaster. Luckily it worked for him.

Joseph Bautsch

Eduard - Very good link. This is not an uncommon problem. Perhaps the link could be made a sticky? (Perhaps we could start a "Hints, Tricks and Solutions" forum to keep all these types of recommendations in one location). It's a good idea to "blow off" the dust a couple of times a year even if you don't think dust is there. If dust stays too long then it becomes stuck and that's a bigger problem. Ritchie - hope all your problems are blown away.

Last edited:

Ruidoso Bill

I just went through this with a friend. You need to isolate what is dirty first. If you can see it in the viewfinder, lens or mirror, if only on the image sensor. It is actually a filter that is infront of the sensor and always first try blowing it off, if no luck then there are numerous swab cleaning systems.