Friend's Wedding as a Guest

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkvLTD

So far, my only experience regarding wedding snapping, and given that groom works for a wedding photo company the whole thing was more than professionally covered. I didn't want to get in the way, but had front row table seat so I made use of that as best I could. So these don't really really fit this category, but at the same time it's probably the best one to post them in.

538092_454454454623724_1216841657_n.jpg

601978_454454511290385_136735030_n.jpg

485255_454454961290340_1233637741_n.jpg

542808_454455034623666_489639779_n.jpg

735017_454455364623633_994140492_n.jpg

253023_454455471290289_441876904_n.jpg

Puzz1e

Banned
Dude you honestly don't need to watermark images that you took from a friends wedding on your first attempt. If you do insist on it though, at least do it tastefully. Did you literally draw that thing in MS Paint?

ohkphoto

Snow White
Dude you honestly don't need to watermark images that you took from a friends wedding on your first attempt.

Read more: http://nikonites.com/wedding/12092-friends-wedding-guest.html#ixzz2OCaPX8tj

Anything that is put on the net should be watermarked.

If you do insist on it though, at least do it tastefully. Did you literally draw that thing in MS Paint?

Read more: http://nikonites.com/wedding/12092-friends-wedding-guest.html#ixzz2OCalr1QQ

This is unnecessary. You could say the same thing in a much kinder way.

SkvLTD

Some 10 years ago, yes in MS paint and that's just how its been since and I've no problems with it. Constantly tweak it around to this day to come to a happier medium. They're big and stamped onto literally everything since I use FB as my unlimited photo dump/gallery/easy public access when I shoot friends and the bigger the mark, the better in this case.

Puzz1e

Banned
Anything that is put on the net should be watermarked.

This is unnecessary. You could say the same thing in a much kinder way.

Yeah go ahead and watermark EVERYTHING in case Time magazine decides to steal these masterful images of the celebrity wedding of the year. Cmon mate, bit of a reality check.

Yes I could tell him his watermark is hideous in a nicer way. Sorry for insulting the watermark that you have been 'tweaking' for the last 10 years OP

crycocyon

If I may offer by point of information, watermarking is useful to protect the image, but as many of you already know, copyright is granted anyway upon creation of the image and remains in effect even without the addition of a watermark. A watermark simply prevents someone from using it elsewhere (although if they really wanted to they could crop or get rid of it), but the watermark itself is not required for legal protection of IP.

Nice wedding. But, what, no coverage of the tea ceremony? ;)

Rexer John

basically because you were not the main shooter you did not get the prime position or pose the shots so they are all ...........crap

Could he have done better with the position he was able to shoot from?
If not, should we always leave the camera at home if we can't get a prime position?

Tell it like it is but I can't see the need to pi$$ on someone's fireworks.

Pardon the expression folks.

Rick M

basically because you were not the main shooter you did not get the prime position or pose the shots so they are all ...........crap

Why so Negative? He posted in a "learning " Photography thread and did not want to get in the way of the "pro". I would think as a "pro" you would respect that.

I have seen pros shoot shots that were not as good. I liked them. They are fun, colorful and I would bet the bride and groom will like them. Have fun and enjoy what you shoot. You can learn more with every shot you shoot.

It is always very brave to post anything from a wedding ,,,but if you are not the main shooter or the main shooter does not pose the photos right then you are on a looser..you are always best to wait till the "pro "has finished and then re arrange the shot as it should be done before takeing your shot,,,, then its your best work not an off angle shot of someone elses attempt.

Rexer John

I can't disagree with you about the off angle shots, but "wait till the pro has finished and then rearrange the shot"?
Good luck with that one.

Take the shot and try later to get the shot you really wanted.
I guess that's what happened but the moment had gone.

Eye-level

Banned
Pistnbroke if you don't mind can you tell me what your name is so I don't have to keep calling you pistnbroke please sir.

You bring up a very good point...something I have never really thought about - wedding photography etiquette. I never have considered what a "pro" might be thinking when a half dozen other folks are hanging in the wings blasting away some probably with flash too. I imagine that would be pretty damn annoying. The last couple of weddings I have attended there have been a buttload of would be photographers in attendance everyone jostling to get a few images and I am not talking about people with P&S although there were plenty of them too. Last wedding there was one old dude walking around holding some dang handheld video recording device filming every second...all the time not paying attention to where in the heck he was walking or who he was walking in front of. No kidding true story.

Well a true pro would have done a fake cake cutting earlier so the real one can be left to the guests but if it all live then when the pro has finished just say to b and g ..can I take a photo? Stand like this ..put your hands like that so I can see the ring etc ..wedding photos are taken with your mouth ....but if you are a timid person forget it ..no body pushes me around when I photo a wedding ..I boss you idiot .....anybody gets in the way/does not co operate no problem its all recored on my hidden body mike for the court case .......

Last edited:

Rick M

I think the key is you can't replicate the pro, so I wouldn't try. Let them get the important stuff and stick to trying to get some candids. The problem is everyone IS trying to reproduce the pro's shots and it just isn't going to happen (lol, unless the pro sucks!). Better off to compliment what the pro is getting so the B and G get some variety.

SkvLTD

Loving all the replies so far by the way.

Since these, I've added my blog's url to my hideous WM since this isn't the ONLY place I post and god knows how far some shots may travel through the net. So real purpose is a trackback more so than pure protection.

One thing I do want to say to some of the negativity- you guys really didn't read the OP, did you? Also, where did I say that I am/trying to be a wedding photographer? Shots really are iffy, but as I said that in that relatively piss-poor lighting and my spot I did what I could. I'm just sharing a moment I've witnessed as best as I could capture it myself, so think more along the lines of photojournalism.

Also remember this- if you don't like something, best leave it alone and let it get buried away than feed the fire you dislike.

The pro crew had 3-4 photographers, various flashes and continuous lights, and had to work on a tight schedule due to all the ceremonies and people involved (whole thing stretched across 3-4 hours). All the studio-style stuff was done way before this ceremony. I didn't want to get in their way at all since I was shooting purely for my own enjoyment and a learning opportunity.

WhiteLight

I am VERY surprised at all the negativity in this thread.
One of the few threads on Nikonites that i've seen like this.. not the best thing at all...
Anyways, back to talking about photography & photographs from now i hope

SkvLTD, i am assuming you are mature enough to not allow the negative comments to ruffle your feathers.
About the pics, i think they are light hearted & anyone who sees them will know you all had a ball of a time.

Have you edited the shots? Or have you changed the image save settings in your camera?
I think the saturation is a little high & so is the contrast.
You could try reducing them in PP & see if that would make a pics better.

As i mentioned, it looks like you and your wedding party were having a lot of fun... and THAT IS THE BOTTOM LINE - HAVE FUN while shooting... :)
Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.