MBD 12: Nikon vs Mieke battery grip

gqtuazon

Gear Head
1. Go grab a pop-corn. This will be interesting. ::what::::what::::what::

2. Background: So, about 7 months ago, I was too cheap to spend the money on a Nikon battery grip especially when it was just announced. It was an astronomical price then. So, like most of you do, we look for alternate and budget friendly battery grip. Then, here comes Meike, a 3rd party brand that has been manufacturing much cheaper battery grips. For less than $80, who would resist such offer?

So, I ordered one from Amazon.com, tried it, and it worked very well for about 1 week. Then the problem that I encountered is that whenever I use two original Nikon EN EL15 camera batteries, one in the camera and one in the battery tray, the battery charge display on the top LCD of the camera will indicate that the battery is discharged (see video).

[video=vimeo;46926083]http://vimeo.com/46926083[/video]

I later returned the "perceived" defective battery grip to the seller from amazon.com. Fast forward, another person who just purchased an original Nikon battery grip was selling his Meike battery grip for $35. So I said to myself, why not? So I got it and tried it, again, the same issue occurs. This made me think that I could have damaged my electronic connections inside my camera.

I ended up keeping the battery grip since it works as long as I don't put a battery inside the camera and just place the battery inside the battery grip. No problem. Then last week, I had to make a decision soon since my camera warranty will expire in May, I had to buy the Nikon battery grip in order to find out if the defect is on my camera or the battery grip. I couldn't send by camera and Meike to Nikon Service center since they don't work on 3rd party grips. They might not even accept my claim since I used a 3rd party grip.

So, today, the battery grip ($379) arrived, and the first thing that I did was to replicate my ongoing problem. I placed two batteries in my camera and one in the tray, turned the camera on, then, walla, it works! What a big relief!

Based on this, my conclusions are: the 3rd party girp might not be totally compatible with my D800E, 2nd, pay up and get the original battery grip. I've done the same thing with my D700 before and the Meike didn't last a year. I have an original D7000 battery grip from Nikon, and that too works like a champ.

Product comparison.

Nikon MBD 12 by gqtuazon, on Flickr

MBD 12 Nikon vs Meike by gqtuazon, on Flickr

MBD 12 Nikon vs Meike top by gqtuazon, on Flickr

Sambr

Glad your camera is okay Glenn. I learn't that lesson a long time ago albeit BMW parts. Today I only buy OEM parts.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Glad your camera is okay Glenn. I learn't that lesson a long time ago albeit BMW parts. Today I only buy OEM parts.

It was a great relief Sam. Although a little expensive just to figure out the cause, it was well worth the price for me. Never again will I buy 3rd party battery grips.

The problem with review that most people post is that if their equipment starts failing, they don't follow it up which leaves the false impression that that particular equipment is still reliable as mentioned by the reviewer.

jwstl

I can understand wanting to save money after spending $3000 for a camera but a knockoff grip isn't the place to save.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

crycocyon

I did the same thing with my D7000 thinking that it is just a grip, but no. After a few days, it stopped relaying power to the camera. Then after a few months, the contact started develping this white substance. What the heck? I only keep it for looks but I learned my lesson....only buy Nikon when it comes to stuff like that. The funny thing is, all the other buttons and switches work on that Chinese grip just fine. It just doesn't provide any power. So when I got the D800, no other grip would do other than a Nikon one. These grips are so rampant on Ebay that they even have boxes to make them look like OEM Nikon grips and even the descriptions like "MB-D12 grip for Nikon"....so is it an MB-D12 grip or not? It is ambiguous. What bothers me is that even a trusted outlet like Adorama sells cheap grips from China. I have nothing against Chinese products per se but I do have something against cheap imitations.

Sambr

It was a great relief Sam. Although a little expensive just to figure out the cause, it was well worth the price for me. Never again will I buy 3rd party battery grips.

The problem with review that most people post is that if their equipment starts failing, they don't follow it up which leaves the false impression that that particular equipment is still reliable as mentioned by the reviewer.
That's probably because they are too embarrassed to follow up or continue to use the product in such as you described(with only on battery) then to them it's okay!

Sambr

I am considering buying one too. I know if I buy one it will be glued to it. The problem is I shoot with a D4 & gripped D700 - the D800 feels so small & sporty without a grip :) and I like that for a change.

SkvLTD

Woes of having higher end models I suppose. I can definitely see that if 2 batteries are achieved via 1 being in the cam and 1 more in a grip, then cheaper grip would be more likely to miscommunicate with the cam. Meike grip I have for D3/5x00 seems to work like a champ, but it houses both batteries in its body and plugs into the cam with a battery-shaped connector.

STM

I have heard both good and bad reviews of 3rd party battery packs vs Nikon but head to head, most seem to fall way short of the Nikon, especially in quality and strength of construction. The battery pack for my D700 is metal not plastic and it never leaves the bottom of my camera except when I use my panoramic attachment for my tripod and only then because the extra length does not allow me to align the lens with the pivot axis of the attachment. I am used to F2's and FE-2's with motors and my F4 so for me, the extra heft and size of the D700 with the battery pack feels very natural for me.

Last edited:
Well I have a 3 rd party 5100 grip on my 3200 and no problems ..used every weekend for 14 months ...
I have two D7000 both with 3rd party grips and no problem either same for my old D90 ...
So I for one will not be buying nikon grips any time soon

gqtuazon

Gear Head
These grips are so rampant on Ebay that they even have boxes to make them look like OEM Nikon grips and even the descriptions like "MB-D12 grip for Nikon"....so is it an MB-D12 grip or not? It is ambiguous. What bothers me is that even a trusted outlet like Adorama sells cheap grips from China. I have nothing against Chinese products per se but I do have something against cheap imitations.

They are all made in China including the Nikon brand. Once you hold both of them, you can tell that the Nikon has a more rubust built and is heavier compared to the stripped down Meike which is almost entirely made out of cheap plastic material other than the electrical connections and 1/4 inch thread for the tripod mount. I am just mad at myself for not getting the original Nikon grip since I already new the history of the other brands based on my previous experience.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I am considering buying one too. I know if I buy one it will be glued to it. The problem is I shoot with a D4 & gripped D700 - the D800 feels so small & sporty without a grip :) and I like that for a change.

Sam - OT: Have you tried ordering parts from Bavarian.com? Their products is just as good or even better than BMW parts.

The MB-D12 allows me to use my long lens support system especially with my macro rail rig. I'm used to having a grip so I barely take mine off except when I have to change the batteries.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I have heard both good and bad reviews of 3rd party battery packs vs Nikon but head to head, most seem to fall way short of the Nikon, especially in quality and strength of construction.

I agree. Since I have both products, I can assure you that the 3rd party grips cannot go toe to toe when it comes to durability, construction and reliability. Worth the extra price IMHO to get full compatibility.

Well I have a 3 rd party 5100 grip on my 3200 and no problems ..used every weekend for 14 months ...
I have two D7000 both with 3rd party grips and no problem either same for my old D90 ...
So I for one will not be buying nikon grips any time soon

Good on you. Some works well and some don't. For me, the hassle that I had to go through is not worth it for me. Once the electrical connections starts failing during a critical shoot is not acceptable. I need something that is more reliable and something that is built to last.

SkvLTD

For me, the hassle that I had to go through is not worth it for me. Once the electrical connections starts failing during a critical shoot is not acceptable. I need something that is more reliable and something that is built to last.

The backup option is keeping one original battery charged and just taking the grip right off replacing it w/ at least one battery on the fly.

Else I'll agree that ~$2000 body is worth ~$300, proper grip. For lesser ones though, especially when there aren't any official ones, cheapies do just fine.

Sambr

Sam - OT: Have you tried ordering parts from Bavarian.com? Their products is just as good or even better than BMW parts.

The MB-D12 allows me to use my long lens support system especially with my macro rail rig. I'm used to having a grip so I barely take mine off except when I have to change the batteries.
Thanks Glenn I will check them out. Yes your're right a grip helps a lot with long glass I experienced that with the D700 and of course the D4. I use the 300mmf4 the most of any lens I own so a MD12 is in the cards soon.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
The backup option is keeping one original battery charged and just taking the grip right off replacing it w/ at least one battery on the fly.

Else I'll agree that ~$2000 body is worth ~$300, proper grip. For lesser ones though, especially when there aren't any official ones, cheapies do just fine.

That's what I ended up doing for at least six months. I wasn't too happy doing it. The D800 drains the battery much faster compared to the D7000 even though they use the same battery. I haven't found out why buy my camera seem to drain the battery much faster even if you just leave the camera power switch in the "on" position after a couple of hours. :(

Photowyzard

Glenn,

I too was too cheap to drop $600 on Nikon Grip and battery. I purchased the exact same grip as you.

This was about the time I bought my D800, maybe August of last year. My experience is different than yours. Mine works like a charm, still, exactly as advertised, one year later.

I am going to comment on one thing in the video I think you are doing wrong. TURN OFF your camera before EVER removing or adding batteries. This is Rule #1, ALWAYS. Caps for emphasis.

You run the risk of damaging your camera if you do this with all your batteries.

Page 21 of the USER MANUAL in a BOX with a WARNING: "Always turn your camera off when inserting and removing Batteries"

I strongly advise, regardless of grip, to follow this procedure. Even though the grip may be turned off, I treat it exactly the same way as if it was live.

Turn everything off first.

In regards to grip quality, the Nikon grip is substantially superior in design to the Meike grip, it has a steel body construction and is water sealed. The Meike is neither. I currently use mine with Duracell rechargeable batteries in the grip and Nikon in the camera....zero issues, no flicker, no hiccup. I have heard from other people who have the grip for their D800s and have similar trouble free stories to tell. Don't get me wrong, I would prefer the Nikon hands down, but the price is simply outrageous for what you get and I refuse to buy one until it drops.

If and when mine konks out, I will report it in my review here on Nikonites, but right now, it travels in my bag all the time. Either as battery back up to the camera or for extra batteries for my juice eating SB-910.

One thing I do not like, it is hard to insert the AA's and equally hard to remove them. Not happy with that. The EN-EL15 snaps in and out easily.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Glenn,

I too was too cheap to drop $600 on Nikon Grip and battery. I purchased the exact same grip as you.

This was about the time I bought my D800, maybe August of last year. My experience is different than yours. Mine works like a charm, still, exactly as advertised, one year later.

I am going to comment on one thing in the video I think you are doing wrong. TURN OFF your camera before EVER removing or adding batteries. This is Rule #1, ALWAYS. Caps for emphasis.

You run the risk of damaging your camera if you do this with all your batteries.

Page 21 of the USER MANUAL in a BOX with a WARNING: "Always turn your camera off when inserting and removing Batteries"

I strongly advise, regardless of grip, to follow this procedure. Even though the grip may be turned off, I treat it exactly the same way as if it was live.

Turn everything off first.

In regards to grip quality, the Nikon grip is substantially superior in design to the Meike grip, it has a steel body construction and is water sealed. The Meike is neither. I currently use mine with Duracell rechargeable batteries in the grip and Nikon in the camera....zero issues, no flicker, no hiccup. I have heard from other people who have the grip for their D800s and have similar trouble free stories to tell. Don't get me wrong, I would prefer the Nikon hands down, but the price is simply outrageous for what you get and I refuse to buy one until it drops.

If and when mine konks out, I will report it in my review here on Nikonites, but right now, it travels in my bag all the time. Either as battery back up to the camera or for extra batteries for my juice eating SB-910.

One thing I do not like, it is hard to insert the AA's and equally hard to remove them. Not happy with that. The EN-EL15 snaps in and out easily.

Hi Art - I appreciate the reminder. I am probably part to be blamed but with the second Meike grip that I still currently have, I followed the same process as what you described but it still doesn't work when using two EN EL15 batteries and why it works well with the Nikon brand.

I'm glad that yours still works. It's a hit or miss with Meike. Other people used to say: quote "If it ain't broke don't mess with it." Your grip is definitely a keeper and unfortunately, I had to cough up $379 for the Nikon grip. It is much more affordable for me now compared to when it was just announced.

Photowyzard

Glenn,

Prices are still too high for that grip in my opinion, which PO's me a bit. I would really prefer the Nikon grip. The Meike is a stop gap until I see the price drop or I see someone selling theirs locally. I did a price review for Canada today, your thread here sparked me to have a look just out of curiosity. Here is what I found:
--------
B+H Photo in New York:

Grip
BL-5
EN-EL 18 battery (my favourite choice)

$650.85 US

Grip
EN-EL15

$530.32

--------

Local - from a big chain in Toronto

Grip
BL-5
EN-EL 18 battery (my favourite choice)

$ 740.11

Grip
EN-EL15

$598.87

All the posted prices have taxes and shipping in where applicable.

I paid $70 for my Meike shipped to my door. I bought a Nikon 50mm f1.4 with the money I saved.

Note, it is cheaper for me to have it shipped from New York, pay the duties, taxes and freight, then to walk into a local camera store and buy it directly.

Another reason why I decided to try the CHEAPO version first.