overexposed shots

marmo

hello there,

just after a bit of advice if possible, yesterday when it was really sunny i was taking some pictures with slow shutter speeds, 1" to 3" etc of waves coming in and out to try and obtain some interest effects but unfortunately the shots were way overexposed, is there anything else i could of done or would i have to just alter it afterwards? my iso was set to 100 by the way

thanks
andy

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Did you use a neutral density filter? Or maybe you forgot the basic relationship between the amount of light, shutter speed and aperture… Even when you are using the manual mode, you have to look at the camera's exposure meter and see what it tells you.

BackdoorArts

On a bright and sunny day it's going to be impossible to capture motion without helping the camera with a ND filter. In those conditions I can be at ISO 100 with an aperture around f8-11 and get shutter speeds in the 1/1000+ range. So even pushing your lens to f22 or smaller you're not going to get to even close to 1/2 sec let alone several seconds. An ND filter will further reduce the amount of light, but on a bright day even an 3 stop filter like an ND8 doesn't help (I know from experience). You'll want an ND400 if you want to play around in the daytime.

steptoe

I've had similar problems when the light was too bright for what I was trying to shoot, not too bright a day just too bright in that shot, I had to use an ND filter and it cured all my problems as I was trying to take a couple of second shot of some fast flowing water and the exposure meter wouldn't let me