D700 discontinued?

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Yep, it's no longer being produced - it hasn't since last year sometime. Some stores may still have some new stock though.

Robert Mitchell

I know someone that just searched high and low for a brand new D700 but no luck. He ended up purchasing a mint condition D700 with low actuations for a great price on ebay and then took it to Nikon, spent $77 for a clean and check so he could have peace of mind, and he's one happy camper.

Last edited:

stmv

The D700 had a great run, also have to remember, that Japan changed their battery rules, and had to redesign the battery, so the last year, I hear that Nikon could not even sell the D700 in Japan due to the older battery design.

Hence the updated battery design of the newer generation with the contacts now no longer exposed, which seems to have impacted the performance by about 10% for the sake of improved safety (I guess if you short out the older batteries they can overheat and cause fires).

BackdoorArts

Interesting, particularly since the D90 has the same battery and is still being offered for sale. At least it is here in the states.

stmv

Yes, but not in Japan,, and I bet those D90s are left over inventory. Seems to take a while to flush out their supplies. I doupt that any D90s are still be manufactured.