Remote release using MC-22

al4c

Hi,

I'm going to be trying to trigger a D800E using an external lab data-logging and triggering system. I think I can use a MC-22 connector - I haven't bought one yet - but I need to know what the actual triggering signal that is needed to trigger the camera and the manual seems rather vague on the subject.

Do I just need continuity across the terminals, ie I just need a relay (this would be obvious if I had the cable already) or do I need some voltage pulse (5V TTL triggering or whatever)?

Cheers

Alex

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Hi,

I'm going to be trying to trigger a D800E using an external lab data-logging and triggering system. I think I can use a MC-22 connector - I haven't bought one yet - but I need to know what the actual triggering signal that is needed to trigger the camera and the manual seems rather vague on the subject.

Do I just need continuity across the terminals, ie I just need a relay (this would be obvious if I had the cable already) or do I need some voltage pulse (5V TTL triggering or whatever)?

Cheers

Alex

Hi Alex and welcome to the forum.

Your inquiry is something that I have not encountered since I use a wireless remote to trigger my camera. For the D800, the 10pin connector is required. However, I am not familiar with the MC 22. There are a lot of 3rd party remote controls available for the D800, D700, D300, D3, D4, etc.

The link below might provide you some information about the MC 22.

https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com.../using-the-mc-22-remote-shutter-release-cable

al4c

Thanks for the reply gqtuazon, and the link.

Unfortunately, the section I need in the linked page says "To remotely trigger the shutter and take an image, the simply across the black and Blue connectors (joined) with the yellow lead." (my emphasis) Anyone know what this means, or can guess what the missing word(s) is/are?

al4c

Nikon have just got back to me. Just for reference for anyone else wishing to do something similar, you just need to connect the leads together and complete the circuit. Blue and black = half press of the release button and yellow and black = take image. I also found this Making a Nikon Camera Remote Control Release « All Digital Photography

In my case I will just run some computer controlled relays (multiple cameras), but I guess it is useful doing it that way as there is no need for external power so there is lots of scope for homebrew contraptions.

Alex