Need help D800 Nef file

HSon

I'm trying to open my Nef files in Cs6 and I get a message that says " Could not complete your request because an unexpected end-of-file was encountered" . Has anyone ever encountered this problem? I'm racking my brain trying to figure this out. It opens d800 jpegs and any previous nef's I have shot with my d90. I even went to Adobe and d/l the camera raw update. I'm pretty sure it was the 7.3. Can someone please shed some light on what I'm doing wrong? HELP! PLEASE! Thank you in advance

Dave_W

The Dude
My guess is you have a corrupted file. Files can easily get corrupted and it's surprising that it doesn't happen more often. I imagine you've tried downloading it again from your CF, right?

HSon

Dave I did try it again and still no luck. I even formatted the card took another photo and I still recieved the same message. I had about 10 jpeg and 7 nef photos and all the nef photos give me that message when I try to open in Cs6. I just tried to open them up in with the View nx2 software that came with the camera and I get a message that says "unsupported file type" I am able to view them as a thumbnail before trying to open them up with view nx2 where as with cs6 i see a file that says nef(no thumbnail).

Dave_W

The Dude
Dave I did try it again and still no luck. I even formatted the card took another photo and I still recieved the same message. I had about 10 jpeg and 7 nef photos and all the nef photos give me that message when I try to open in Cs6. I just tried to open them up in with the View nx2 software that came with the camera and I get a message that says "unsupported file type" I am able to view them as a thumbnail before trying to open them up with view nx2 where as with cs6 i see a file that says nef(no thumbnail).

Oh, that's not a good sign. If it happens with a different card too then I would be worried your read/write head is having issues. Is this the CF or SDHC card that is giving you issues?

gqtuazon

Gear Head

Somehow, there was a recent activity with CS6 that probably froze your computer. This is just my assumption.

How about uninstalling the entire program, restart and re-install the program. Open the NEF file without updating the firmware yet. If it doesn't open, then download the latest firmware updates from Adobe.

HSon

The previous attempts were with a sd card. I just tried it with a CF and got the same unsupported file type message in view nx 2. Not looking good. Really upset too.

Dave_W

The Dude
Whelp, the good news is you're still under warranty. I've sent several cameras to Nikon and both times the turn around was 9 days (including weekends), not the fasted but not the end of the world either.

jwstl

One last test is to try opening the files on a different computer. I could try it for you if you have a way of sending large files.

BackdoorArts

I was also going to suggest reinstalling at least NX2 to make sure it's not a computer issue before sending the camera off. If you can upload the file somewhere I'd also be willing to check it out.

HSon

I was also going to suggest reinstalling at least NX2 to make sure it's not a computer issue before sending the camera off. If you can upload the file somewhere I'd also be willing to check it out.

Thanks Jake. I might try that but I thought of something else that might help me get to the bottom of this. Today I brought my sd/cf cards to the store where Im friendly with the salesperson who sold me the camera. I used their camera with my cards to take shots in raw format in order to check them with the software when I get home later.

Last edited: