St. Michaels MD Garage

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I'd love a little help here. I've been fussing with an image that I took a week or so ago while walking around at night in St. Michaels, Maryland. I came across this old garage under a funky tungsten streetlight. I finally got the color accurate but still feel it is missing something. I also created a black and white version to draw more attention to the contrast.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Should I just toss it and move on?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

EXIF: D300, 35mm f/1.8G, handheld, ISO 800, 1/15, f/1.8, -2/3 EV

B&W conversion, frame and watermark added in Lightroom

St_Michaels_Garage_Color.jpg

St_Michaels_Garage_BW.jpg

Last edited:

Joseph Bautsch

Sometimes you just have to take what is available. Your original post said you are looking for a high contrast shot? I agree. Try going to a very extreme contrast B&W, even more than you have now, to deepen the black "character" lines of the boards, the doors and the rest of the frame work and see how that works. It may or may not but worth a try. The color shot doesn't seem to work at all.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
You are leading me along the same thought process Joseph. Thanks! I'm not expecting much from the shot but am using it as an opportunity to learn.

ohkphoto

Snow White
Here are my thoughts:
1. I definitely like the bw and agree with Joseph on the high contrast.
2. The whole left side (dark area) bothers me a little --not much there
3. I know the pic was taken from an angle, but the alignment on the bottom is a little bothersome
4. I like the trees in the upper right.

Have you tried cropping so that it's a vertical shot (i.e. vertical line would come down the middle of the garage kind of . . . that way the missing top would not be so obvious, and it would draw more attention to the door frames. I would definitely try that before tossing it. These old buildings have so much character and you captured it well.

Best Regards

minicoop63

I also love the character in old buildings and b&w just emphasizes that.
I would adjust so the side post is on the vertical and increase the contrast.
A soft focus on the edges would minimize the dark left side and the missing roof point.
Good capture.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Have you tried cropping so that it's a vertical shot (i.e. vertical line would come down the middle of the garage kind of . . . that way the missing top would not be so obvious, and it would draw more attention to the door frames. I would definitely try that before tossing it.

Helene:

That is a GREAT idea. Thank you!!! I totally agree with the angle/alignment observation.

I also think I'm going to try Silver EFEX to convert to B&W instead of just using the builtin Lightroom feature. I think that it will help me get more contrast as you and Joseph suggested.

Can't wait to get home and try it!

Ed

ohkphoto

Snow White
I also think I'm going to try Silver EFEX to convert to B&W instead of just using the builtin Lightroom feature

As much as I love lightroom, I'm turning to more of the Nik software for better, higher-quality choice. Godd choice with the Silver efex!

Best Regards

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
This is the latest version based on the input from everyone here. I think it turned out pretty well. Thanks!

St_Michaels_Garage_BW_Crop.jpg

Last edited:

Browncoat

The new version is looking great, Eduard. You know I'm a big advocate of contrast, so I think this one would look even better with an HDR treatment to really bring out the grit and wear. Keep up the good work!

goz63

Eduard,
The latest iteration looks great. The crop work makes the loss of the top irrelevant and the high contrast B&W is great. I was not all that thrilled with the originals but this one looks great and would be well worth the print to have it displayed. Nice work.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
The new version is looking great, Eduard. You know I'm a big advocate of contrast, so I think this one would look even better with an HDR treatment to really bring out the grit and wear. Keep up the good work!

I have never tried HDR for a black and white conversion. . . . hmmmmm.