D600 issue on long exposure

Mestre

_LMT0384.jpg

I did some long exposures this weekend and for the first time I noticed an issue when using my Big Stopper. Every pic over 10" and from F/11 on had a smudge in the center and a thin line almost in the lowest third.

I thought I had a problem in the filter, although it always behaved well in DX, that my 16-35 malfunctioned over F/11 but after googling the situation, I found a couple topics in forums that the D600 has a light leak through the viewfinder. Next time I'll use my DK-5 and start using Live View (i never do in order to save battery), I'll post other photos by the end of the week.

Last edited:

RookieDSLR

I have done some 30 second pics and some bulb pics with my Nikon 16-35 f4 and I have not got any issues from the what so ever, they were night shots done of a cityscape and then I did some of a small flowing waterfall at 30 seconds f13 and didn't get anything from it. I hope you can figure this out and get it resolved oh yeah and sorry I was not much help. Good luck!

Jeremy V.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
View attachment 30429

I did some long exposures this weekend and for the first time I noticed an issue when using my Big Stopper. Every pic over 10" and from F/11 on had a smudge in the center and a thin line almost in the lowest third.

I thought I had a problem in the filter, although it always behaved well in DX, that my 16-35 malfunctioned over F/11 but after googling the situation, I found a couple topics in forums that the D600 has a light leak through the viewfinder. Next time I'll use my DK-5 and start using Live View (i never do in order to save battery), I'll post other photos by the end of the week.

It's pretty well explained in the user's manual. Same thing with all DSLRs, my D90, D7000 were the same. I don't like the cover so I just stay very close to the viewfinder to block the excess light coming from behind the camera. In other instances, I've used my hand just over the opening of the viewfinder.

VectorZ

I have the same filter and camera and I've shot some 180 second day exposures and have never had this issue and I never cover the viewfinder... There is no pic attached btw.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
It's pretty well explained in the user's manual. Same thing with all DSLRs, my D90, D7000 were the same. I don't like the cover so I just stay very close to the viewfinder to block the excess light coming from behind the camera. In other instances, I've used my hand just over the opening of the viewfinder.

Unlike the other FX cameras that has a curtain that you can shut during long exposure. Manually covering the viewfinder is the only option to prevent any light leak. The D600 has a rectangular view finder unlike the rest which is rounded.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Unlike the other FX cameras that has a curtain that you can shut during long exposure. Manually covering the viewfinder is the only option to prevent any light leak. The D600 has a rectangular view finder unlike the rest which is rounded.

There is a little cover that comes with the camera. I have it somewhere… and it's not really a problem since you do have to use a tripod for a long exposure. So you set the camera up, focus, install the little cover and then shoot. Of just put your hand over the camera's viewfinder without touching it so it doesn't move during exposure.

Mestre

Marcel

I know about the user manual, but I never needed to use the cover piece (DK 5, as coded by Nikon) in my D90 or D7000, so I never carry it with me. :)

I tried it with other lenses and I know the issue is not due to the 16-35mm, there is the same behaviour in my 50mm and my 105mm VR.

Maybe it is because of the square viewfinder, as said before, or my D600 lot has a minor "bug" in the construction, but I'll test it tomorrow. So far this is the only issue I had, as the dust in the sensor has never happened.

I updated the pic, btw.

BackdoorArts

I shot long exposures for 18 months with the D7000 and D600 before I had my first encounter with the answer to, "Why do they give you that eyepiece cover?" It was on a dock with the sun behind me, and after almost dropping both the regular eyepiece and the cover into the water I decided that a piece of dark cloth in the bag or a ball cap usually sufficed. That said, I've very thankful for the built-in cover on the D800.

I thought the cover was to prevent light entering the eyepiece and upsetting the exposure meter reading rather than to prevent light leakage into the mirror box..??

BackdoorArts

I thought the cover was to prevent light entering the eyepiece and upsetting the exposure meter reading rather than to prevent light leakage into the mirror box..??

It's primary function is the first, but it serves to do both, particularly when the light source is shining directly into it.

BackdoorArts

You and I have a history of seeing different shades of grey, and where you say "faulty" seals I would say "incomplete", with my varient being based on reasonable design. Say you perform a multi-second exposure with a ND400 or higher filter with an unprotected viewfinder and the sun shining directly into it and get leakage. I'm going to give the manufacturer a pass provided that under most other conditions things are operating fine and if the manufacturer dictates in user documentation that they expect the user to block the eyepiece when using a tripod and the operator not looking through the viewfinder (which Nikon does). In this case I would say that the leakage is not faulty since it only happens when the camera is being used outside of design specs. I'm not saying that I wouldn't prefer it otherwise, and that it shouldn't be reasonable to expect that this isn't always a consideration. But to have it occur in certain extreme conditions is not something I'd ever label as "faulty" when the manufacturer has specifically dictated the use of a cover under the problematic conditions.

BackdoorArts

View attachment 30449

Now that I can finally see the photo my comment would be that I see two potential problems here. The pinkish hue at the left edge is what I'd normally associate with light leakage through the viewfinder. The fact that the straight line seems to parallel the horizon, I'm wondering if this isn't a reflection from the lens onto the back of the ND filter? It's not quite a pute reflection (exactly mirrored) but that it fades to the edges similar to the horizon (and where the lens curvature might fade off) it has me wondering.

Nikon has specified the cover when on a tripod so that light does not affect exposure measurement in the time between composing the shot/removing the eye and pressing the shutter ....The shutter box should be light tight just as the back of an old film camera was.....

BackdoorArts

Because the normal procedure would be to meter with it on, hold the exposure lock button while removing it so that you can only then press the shutter button to take the photo without it.

Whatever.

50_shades_of_grey.jpg

Mestre

It was a cloudy day so the direct sun is not an issue. I do have other pics with a f/8 aparture and the line isn't there.

As i shot with a couple primes, the problem wasn't caused by the lens.

Rick M

I think it's the filter. Not noticeable in Dx because you used a smaller portion of it. With a long exposure, any defect in the filter allowing more light in will show up more. Looks too precise to be a light leak (in my opinion).

Might try rotating the filter 90 degrees and see if the line becomes verticle.

Last edited:

Geoffc

I recently got a ten stop filter and let my wife use it on her D300. On 30+ second exposures we saw a purple mark at the top of the screen. It turns out it was a common problem on the D300/s models as the AF light housing leaks light. We just cover the AF light with a cloth now.

To test this out put the lens cap on and take a 60 sec exposure in a daylight area. It will show any leaks. A simple but effective way to test it.