D700 Is Good As New After A Day At Nikon

Robert Mitchell

I couldn't find a general purpose forum to post this but because it concerns my D700 I thought I would post it here.

I've had my D700 for several years. It's been used every day and is approaching 100,000 actuations. Upgrading is something I will do in time but I still don't feel the need and a new camera body won't change anything about my image making process.

My camera actually works perfectly but the rubber was peeling off, the sensor and viewfinder needed to be cleaned, and there was some fog or condensation on the inside of the LCD cover.

That being said, I finally had a break in work and took the D700 over to Nikon, Melville, just down the road from me. Since the camera isn't under warranty I was anticipating that doing the work needed and anything else they might find could cost me a few hundred and that would still be worth it. After speaking with the one person I know in the service department and the chief tech, they determined that all that work was still considered part of the most basic service for a D700, which is actually called a 'Clean and Check' as the 'Check' part is where they go over all the basics, rubber, felt, etc. and replace as necessary. Nothing is done a la carte so it always falls into a category or price tier.

After all is said and done, $77 later and my D700 is as good as new. Not bad considering I do beat on my camera when I'm shooting and it's survived a lot of climate changes and less than perfect circumstances. If, after a few years or hard use, $77 is all it takes then it's worth it.

I know that not everyone has positive experiences with Nikon service but I have to say they've always been great with me and bent over backwards to help me out.

I'm going to run my D700 into the ground and then get a new camera. :)

Robert Mitchell

Yup! That's actually huge in my book. The immediacy of having a repair done is great and in many cases they will put a rush on it for me. It takes me about 12 minutes to get to Nikon if there's no traffic. :)

Sambr

I have had awesome experince with Nikon Canada. I had sent in my D3s last August to be cleaned & adjusted, to make a long story short it was destroyed enroute back to me by the courier company they used. Nikon stepped up to the plate and sent me a brand new D4 at no charge to me. That was above and beyond customer service, Nikon has always treated me well.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
After all is said and done, $77 later and my D700 is as good as new. Not bad considering I do beat on my camera when I'm shooting and it's survived a lot of climate changes and less than perfect circumstances. If, after a few years or hard use, $77 is all it takes then it's worth it.

I know that not everyone has positive experiences with Nikon service but I have to say they've always been great with me and bent over backwards to help me out.

I'm going to run my D700 into the ground and then get a new camera. :)

Congrats on your like new camera Robert. :)

I had similar experience when I had my D700 hot shoe replaced. Nikon El Segundo replaced the entire rubber of the body which made it looked like new again for no additional charge.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I have had awesome experince with Nikon Canada. I had sent in my D3s last August to be cleaned & adjusted, to make a long story short it was destroyed enroute back to me by the courier company they used. Nikon stepped up to the plate and sent me a brand new D4 at no charge to me. That was above and beyond customer service, Nikon has always treated me well.

Now that's another happy ending. :D

fotojack

Yup! That's actually huge in my book. The immediacy of having a repair done is great and in many cases they will put a rush on it for me. It takes me about 12 minutes to get to Nikon if there's no traffic. :)

Hi Robert. I'm assuming you're a member of this? :)

NPS.jpg