Question about the direction of the controls

borism

Hello
This is my second post here and first on the D90 thread forum
I need some help with sorting the direction of the dials
I currently using the front dial as Aperture and the second dial (the one at the back) as shutter speed
Both react to positive or larger values when I move the dials towards the right -->
And to negative or smaller values when I turn them to the left <--
If I want a faster shutter speed the back dial will move to the right -->, if I want a larger value aperture (say from f2 to f4) I move the front dial to the right too -->
This is good and this is how I want it
However: here is the question
If i want to change the Exp Comp +/- to a higher value (Say from 0.0 to +0.3) The back dial has to be moved to the LEFT!!! <--
Same if I want a negative value say from 0.0 to -0.7 the back dial has to move towards the RIGHT -->
This drives me crazy as I feel is completely counter intuitive
Is there a way to Fix or Change this?
Thank you in advance for your help

BackdoorArts

You'd have to check your manual, but I suspect that you can't change things down at that level unless you wanted to start hacking the firmware.

borism

Well , the D90 can allow you choose the direction of the measure and even turn the main dial and second dial functions to be opposite and reverse, that is pretty cool for a mid level camera, but is disconcerting that the Exp Comp is upside down (or inverted in this case), at least to me :-(

BackdoorArts

They're also backwards compared to my D800. I just checked my D90 and it's exactly like yours, and there's nothing I can find in the menus to allow you to change it. Nikon has a history of being very inconsistent with how they implement functions from model to model, whether it be button position and/or function or menu order, and it can be maddening. Wish I had better news for you.

stmv

first thing I did was reverse back the direction on my D800 to match my other Nikons, glad Nikon still allows you to change your settings. Why Nikon does this has me clueless, someone told me to match Canon,, but why would anyone want to match Canon!

borism

Ugh . I have a D600 (on reapair at this time) and I am 99% sure the Exp Comp is "normal" , meaning it works also to increase value to the right.
I agree with stmv, is simply absurd to change things around from one model to another
Thank you for the help everyone
You are right backdoorhipie, it can be maddening

BackdoorArts

I just looked at the D90 and D7000 and they behave the same, so I assume the D600 does as well (mine's also out for repair). I thought about it a bit and if you think about it this way it's not backwards: Wheel to the right image gets darker, wheel to the left image gets lighter (assume lighter/darker as shutter speed and aperture would act in Manual mode). I know, but it's the only way I can make sense of the arrangement. And it still doesn't make sense that it would be different on the D800.

fotojack

Ugh . I have a D600 (on repair at this time) and I am 99% sure the Exp Comp is "normal" , meaning it works also to increase value to the right.
I agree with stmv, is simply absurd to change things around from one model to another
Thank you for the help everyone
You are right backdoorhipie, it can be maddening

Consider the source of where these things are made. ;) They drive on the left side of the road, too! ;)