Copied JPG Images onto Cf card in D300 Camera. Can't Access JPGs.

baba louey

This is probably a format issue that I don't understand. I copied some pictures (JPG) from a friend's Mac laptop directly onto the cf card installed on my D300. I can't see these images on my PC even though the properties state that 2 gig of data is on the card. Any ideas how I can transfer these images to my PC?

baba louey

I suspect that you are right. I just came back from a trip to India and one of the members of our tour group took a bunch of shots that I wanted copies of. Taking them off her Mac and putting them directly onto my D300 seemed like a good idea but they don't show up on my PC. I know that the D300 cf card is formatted in DCF. I'm not sure whether that makes a difference when dropping JPGs into it.

jwstl

I suspect that you are right. I just came back from a trip to India and one of the members of our tour group took a bunch of shots that I wanted copies of. Taking them off her Mac and putting them directly onto my D300 seemed like a good idea but they don't show up on my PC. I know that the D300 cf card is formatted in DCF. I'm not sure whether that makes a difference when dropping JPGs into it.

Do you see anything on the card when it's on the PC?

baba louey

Funny comment! As I recall, the files dropped onto the cf card fine and showed up as JPGs on her Mac laptop. I can't remember if I tried to viewed them from the CF card on her laptop. I think not since I assumed that since I could see the file names things were kosher. I knew something might be amiss when I inserted the card back in the D300 and it couldn't see any images.

jwstl

Funny comment! As I recall, the files dropped onto the cf card fine and showed up as JPGs on her Mac laptop. I can't remember if I tried to viewed them from the CF card on her laptop. I think not since I assumed that since I could see the file names things were kosher. I knew something might be amiss when I inserted the card back in the D300 and it couldn't see any images.

The camera may be expecting to see images in a folder.
Try putting the card in the camera, take a couple of shots, and see if they show on your PC....just to confirm all is well with the card.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

baba louey

With the card installed in the D300 and hooked up to my PC, I see a drive name "D300", under that "removable storage", under that "DCIM" folder, under that "100ND300" folder. There is nothing in the folders yet the card (4 gig) is half full.

baba louey

The camera may be expecting to see images in a folder.
Try putting the card in the camera, take a couple of shots, and see if they show on your PC....just to confirm all is well with the card.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I took a few shots and they showed up in a new folder "103ND300" but nothing for the other images that I dropped on the card.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm not sure I understand how you tried to get your copied pics on your computer.

If you plugged in the camera with the card in, it is very possible that the camera can't see the pictures because they were modified on a computer. So it does not display these images. But, if the images were copied on the card, if you would use a card reader connected to your computer to read the card you probably would be able to copy the pics back on your computer.

Give that a trial before you give up and erase those shots.

Please let us know if this did the trick.

Mike150

I've never tried to copy files from a PC/Mac to my camera and don't ever plan to.
That's why I carry a memory stick. There not heavy enough to be a burden.

BackdoorArts

What Marcel said. A card reader should show the photos. The camera will only recognize the photos that are in the proper folder structure (if you copied them to the root directory then it won't see them), but even then it may only show those taken by the camera.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Thanks for the advice. I'll go buy a cf card reader and report back. I really appreciate the quick reponses.

Instead fo buying one, find a friend that has one just to check out if it works or not. If it does, then run to get one. :)