New Tokina UW for Dx!

BackdoorArts

That's a nice, usable sweep range for a DX user too. Would be a perfect walking around town lens for a trip since 12(18)mm should be wide enough to get building facades even fairly close, and the 28(42)mm is a nice standard view of everything else. Dare I say a perfect vacation lens where you're planning on taking photographs on your vacation and not taking a vacation to take photographs? Only drawback might be that at f4 it might be a little darker than you'd like for nighttime, so bring that tripod. :)

Photo Joe

Since it sounds like this lens will replace the 12-24, I wonder how much of an improvement it will be. I had been looking around, scouting out the 12-24, since I don't have a wide angle for landscapes, but I may wait now to see how this new lens performs.

Rick M

Since it sounds like this lens will replace the 12-24, I wonder how much of an improvement it will be. I had been looking around, scouting out the 12-24, since I don't have a wide angle for landscapes, but I may wait now to see how this new lens performs.

I would definetly wait and check reviews on this, may we worth it. Third parties have come a long way and in this case the Nikon equal is really just "average".

slowpoke

Some amazon reviews state that the auto-focus is very temperamental on the 11-16, some food for thought I think?
Please don't say that it's so.I just odered the tokina 11-16mmf2.8.Now they have a 12-28,Ididn't hear about it till now,Thanks Rick lol

Rick M

Please don't say that it's so.I just odered the tokina 11-16mmf2.8.Now they have a 12-28,Ididn't hear about it till now,Thanks Rick lol

The 11-16 is a great lens, it will take a while to get diverse reviews on the new one. What you will have now is better than what is not available :) (yet)

It never fails when I buy a new lens, the one I've been waiting years for is announced the next day!

slowpoke

I feel like I'm in a simular boat.lol I can hardly wait to try out the new lens.I've been studying shooting landscapes.:)

Rick M

I'm sure you'll love it. Ultra-wides are a lot of fun, you can capture some really interesting perspectives. It will make you more aware of symmetry in composition

Ima Hack

I just ordered the 12-24 yesterday from B&H then read this thread.... :sour:...oh well, I don't think I'll be disappointed, but that little bit of additional reach sure sounds nice.

Photo Joe

I just ordered the 12-24 yesterday from B&H then read this thread.... :sour:...oh well, I don't think I'll be disappointed, but that little bit of additional reach sure sounds nice.
I went ahead and bought the 12-24 used, since I figured I'd save a great deal more money that way - sacrificing a little bit of reach isn't too big of a deal I suppose, since I have other lenses to cover that area. I'm really enjoying the 12-24 and hope you do as well.