Opinions on lenses?

thenameislui

Hey guys hows it going!

I'm a college student and copped the D3200, currently holding the [h=1]Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens and the Rokinon 8mm ultra wide F/ 3.5 Fisheye [/h][h=3][/h]i am wanting to get more lenses to expand the variety of photography i can do.
i want to have the equipment to do still frames, outdoor nature, sports photography, landscape etc

I currently reside in Albuquerque, NM and the landscape and outdoor photogrpahy is great here but im from california so in the summer i want to be able to capture beach life and that sort of nature

so far i have these lenses in mind and i would appreciate any feedback that can be given with personal experience with these lens or if you have any other thoughts about other lens too!

AF-S 24-70mm F/2.8 G ED
AF-S 85 mm F/1.4g
Sigma 150-500mm f/ 5-6.3 DG OS HSM APO Nikon-F
AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II

Thanks!

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Instead of the 24-70 and 85 1.4, just get the 50 and 85 1.8 G. With the money saved you can buy the Sigma...

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Marcel i was thinking about an upgrade soon, im between the D800 and D7100 any thoughts on that?

Speaking for myself, I'm trying to stay away from upgrades for now. Did I say for now… :) The main question you should ask yourself is "How big do I want to print". And even then, 12mp and 16mp cameras are more than enough for 24-36 prints. If you're planning to have a studio and sell your work, then get the best lenses you can afford and a D700. When the money flows, then you can get whatever you can afford.

The thing is, invest in lenses and just plan to upgrade bodies once a while. And try to use them as much as you can, don't upgrade just because it seems fashionable. Nikon is great for that with their multiple sensor sizes and pro vs amateur bodies.

thenameislui

I dont believe ill get a studio. I have the passion for photography but although a college student, photography is not my main priority. Ive done a few photo shoots around campus for friends but I want to start to make a portfolio together to maybe get a sports photography job here on campus. New Mexico has a lot of natural beauty that i would like to capture. very true, I'm content with the D3200 but i feel some of the lens may not fit on the D3200 as compare to the others one mentioned.

SkvLTD

Actually 30,31,32,50,51,5200 can use just about any Nikon mount lenses. Pre-AI vintage stuff, etc without a hitch. And god do oldies feel amazing.

Quote ...
Actually 30,31,32,50,51,5200 can use just about any Nikon mount lensesWhere did you get that crazy idea....you cannot use worm drive lenses and they dont support Manual in any meaningfull way unless you put an emulator chip on them .....You need D7000 or higher ..for that

Attachments

• lenstest 085.jpg
    lenstest 085.jpg
    602.4 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

SkvLTD

Quote ...
Actually 30,31,32,50,51,5200 can use just about any Nikon mount lensesWhere did you get that crazy idea....you cannot use worm drive lenses and they dont support Manual in any meaningfull way unless you put an emulator chip on them .....You need D7000 or higher ..for that

"Notes on digital cameras:
Non-AI lenses must be converted before they can be used on any digital body (except the D40, D40X, D60, D3000, D3100, D5000 and D5100)...
The D40, D40x, D60, D3000, D3100, D5000 and D5100 will accept non-AI lenses as-is but without metering as with the D80, D70, etc. bodies above."

From John White's site who does AI conversions for a living. You linked what looks to me like some DIY AI conversion hack.

Cheap bodies I mentioned don't have the built-in focus motor screw nor AI-style metering system, both of which are solved in AI conversions to avoid damaging the connectors on D7000 and above level models.

Hello,
I have recently bought Nikkor objectif f1.4/50 AF-D for my camera Nikon D3000 and I have found out that the autofocus does not work anyway at the end with this camera.
I am not sure why, but I guess, it is because of my camera the Nikon D3000 does not have its own 'focus engine'?:))
Thank you very much!
Katerina

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Hello,
I have recently bought Nikkor objectif f1.4/50 AF-D for my camera Nikon D3000 and I have found out that the autofocus does not work anyway at the end with this camera.
I am not sure why, but I guess, it is because of my camera the Nikon D3000 does not have its own 'focus engine'?:))
Thank you very much!
Katerina

Hello Karerina,

Your guess is right on. If you want a lens that will focus with your camera, you have to get the AF-S lens. This means the lens has it's own focusing motor.

D90, 200, 300, 600, 700, 800, 7000 & 7100 do have focusing engines to make the AF-D lenses work.

Dave_W

The Dude
Quick thought on the D800, even though you are not going to have a studio nor are you planning on printing poster sized prints, there are many more reasons than these to own a D800. The D800 is an incredible camera with amazing image quality and dynamic range unsurpassed by any other camera on the market. To be sure, DxOMark has listed the D800 as the finest camera they have ever tested.
So yes, the D800 can produce giant sized prints and a great studio camera, it can do far more attributes than just these two.