new to dslr and all the wonderfull features! need some direction!

acloehlein

:D any walk through videos on the web that stand above the rest, there is alot of them! any really standout for out of the box instructions !!!

Cowboybillybob1

What you MUST know is how to set the proper exposure using ISO, Shutter Speed, and Aperture. These three things interact with each other and is really one of the ,if not THE most important thing to understand.

You should be shooting in Manual Mode to really get the most out of your camera and allows you to be the most creative. If you are using scene mode than you basically bought yourself an expensive Point and Shoot camera. Apeture and Shutter priority modes can be usefull but to really understand your camera and photography using any brand or model of DSLR yu need to get this down.

Here are two links that explain this concept well. Do yourself a favor and get this down before you do anything else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzWQYir7DFc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th1rXjmyVPs

Watch these and learn them like the back of your hand. If you have any questions or are confused about it post your questions here. Either I or someone else on this forum should be happy to help you out.

Main thing is to have fun and the more you know about it the more fun you will have.

Good luck to you and congrat's on your new camera.

carguy

I have viewed quite a few 'how to' videos on youtube etc these last few months. The videos by Jared Polin (Photography Tips | Beginner Photography | FroKnowsPhoto - Jared Polin) really stand out for me. Jared has a way to explain things like Aperture, ISO and shutter speed and how they work together and makes it really simple to follow. His videos are all free for the viewing on his site and Youtube. Just one resource I have found very helpful as I move off-auto. Enjoy the ride!

Puzz1e

Banned
If you are willing to spend, I recommend kelbytraining.com

As far as free resources go, thatnikonguy and froknowsphoto are both OK for beginners. Look up their websites/YouTube videos. I think they are both pretty "meh" as photographers though.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Take pictures, lots of them. You will learn that it takes time to learn. Don't expect miracle videos that promise to turn you into a prolific photographer after a few hours of watching.

You will have to take pictures, bad ones, good ones, but never perfect. The perfect picture just does not exist. But we can try can't we. :)

Take pictures, lots of them. You will learn that it takes time to learn. Don't expect miracle videos that promise to turn you into a prolific photographer after a few hours of watching.

You will have to take pictures, bad ones, good ones, but never perfect. The perfect picture just does not exist. But we can try can't we. :)

I remember seeing statistics many years ago about how many photos a National Geographic photographer shoots for each one that gets published. It was staggering.

“A photographer shoots 20,000 to 60,000 images on assignment. Of those, perhaps a dozen will see the published light of day”

Read more: 1,000 shots a day {the National Geographic photographer}

When I shot film I was pretty happy when shooting for fun if I got 1 really good photo out of a 36 exposure roll. When I go out for a specific shoot I do better than that now but when I go out just to take pictures I may shoot 300 to 500 shots and may not really like any of them. But you know what? I still had fun shooting them.

STM

I take it you shot film before this? All ofthe things you learned about shooting film still apply. The thing you will find that even at 14 bit, negative film still has more latitude than digital