Nikon Quality Assurance and Marketing Gone Wrong

BackdoorArts

A well thought out and reasoned critique of the latest woes with Nikon releases. Sad to hear that D800's still seem to be shipping with the left-focus issue. Haven't seen it on mine, but there was a report here yesterday that seems to confirm it may still be popping up. Good to hear that at least one person hasn't found these issues repeated on their D7100.

Nikon Quality Assurance and Marketing Gone Wrong

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Great reading Jake, thanks for posting.

Photography should be about pictures and maybe not so much about equipment collection.

D90 and 300 and 700 are still capable of producing fantastic images in the right hands under the right light.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Second on the great read. As much as I have enjoyed my Nikons, this year will be telling. My D300 is unbelievable and I will continue to use it for the foreseeable future. I'd like the option to consider a "D400" but it is not a need. The evolving mirrorless capabilities in the Olympus OM-D E-M5 and Panasonic GH3 along with the amazing lens selection may very well pull me away. It is beginning to feel very much like the shift from film to digital again IMHO. (I still rue the day I sold my Pentax Super Program.)

BackdoorArts

I think the pixel wars are a little ridiculous, and I've gotten pulled in to some extent (and don't necessarily rue that decision), but Marcel is exactly correct - there are some fine old 12MP cameras out there capable of producing some incredible photos. I've been meaning to list my D90 for sale but am starting to wonder if I wouldn't be better served selling the D7000 and keeping it (battery compatibility with the D600/800 is the one major strike against going that route)? Blessed is the man who is immune to marketing hype.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Totally agree about the pixel wars. Since I like to shoot low-light and travel, I want as much range as possible without having to lug a tripod. I'm very happy with my kit and won't give up the pro-level build and controls of the D300. That would seem like a step backwards. I could buy a D800 and equivalent lenses but it is overkill for a hobby.