Image Upload Restricitons

WhiteLight

This is a request to see if we can work on some kind of way to allow larger images to be uploaded to the forum.
I understand it takes extra server space, loads slower etc... but could it possible to allow folks with certain experience points to be allowed maybe a couple of large size pics a month? or maybe a separate forum itself?
That's just a suggestion, but i think there is definitely a need for this.

This request stems from some frustration i faced when i was trying to upload a 2mb file which was large size (2048 on the longer side i think) of the night sky which i have currently posted in the critique section.
The largest size that the forum allows doesn't show any detail in the image as compared to the same image on imageshack.
I am not sure if the forum is stripping some data from the file making it look colorless or it's just the image size making the difference.

If you want to see the difference, here is the link - http://nikonites.com/photo-critique/11986-night-sky-first-attempt.html

we can always link to other image hosting site to link to the images, but that just feels very tedious.

Thanks for your time!

There are some practical reasons the limit is there also. There are some people that have slow internet connections and it would really slow them down to a crawl. Also there have been some thefts of images here so most people don't really want to put extremely high quality photos on here. Small is better, they still look good but not good enough to steal.

If you really want to show a high quality photo try putting it on another site and just give a link to it for the people who want ot see it.