Black and White tutorial?

Moab Man

I know there are a lot of them out there which results in search overload. I am using CS6. Does anyone have a tutorial link to one they really liked? A great outcome, logical steps, ease of use/following, etc.

Carroll

I know there are a lot of them out there which results in search overload. I am using CS6. Does anyone have a tutorial link to one they really liked? A great outcome, logical steps, ease of use/following, etc.

I liked these tutorials, because of the step-by-step instructions and screen captures, and they worked with CS6. They are for beginners. I am not sure if I will ever be anything except a "beginner", so simple works for me. This is the link to the free tutorials:

Converting Color Photos To Black And White In Photoshop

My preferred choice for black and white is Silver Efex Pro, for the absolute best outcome.

While it is possible to do basically the same conversion, almost, in CS6, the speed of Silver Efex and it's particular tools, specifically designed for black and white conversion, IMO, do a much faster, simpler, and better job. You can download a trial copy to check it out for free, here:

The World's Leading Black and White Software

Have fun!

Last edited:

wud

I use the adjustment layer in PS for B&W, when you turn it on, you can adjust the different (original) colors, like brighten the yellow, darken the blue etc. That way you get more control over shadows/highlights too.