Hello from Nor. Cal.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Hi Larry and welcome. Did you get the kit lens? What kind of pictures are you trying to take?

Joseph Bautsch

Hi Larry and welcome to the Nikonites community. A lot of really knowledgable people here to help with your questions. If you would please complete your profile with your camera, lens and equipment information. Knowing what you have and what you are shooting with will be a lot of help to us in answering your questions.

Curt

Welcome Larry to the forum, I had a D3000 myself great little camera. Some advice would be, read your manual cover to cover. Look for Blue Crane digital video on the D3000 very good, you will be taking great picture in no time :).

Whereabouts are you from in NorCal, Larry? I'm an hour north of that little bridge called the Golden Gate - in the middle of wine country.

We look forward to your participation, and hopefully see some of your images.

kevindepot

@ Curt. What is Blue Crane digital video on the D3000. A book or web site?
@ Essence of Imagery. I also am an hour north of that bridge. In the Town of Windsor.
I will work on the profile soon.
I have the kit lens. I also have a Sigma 70-300 DG Macro. It's not the best lens but it will work for now.

Curt

Larry, Blue Crane is a video series based on certain camera models, they have videos on everything from lighting to different camera models. I am sure it will be very helpful.

ohkphoto

Snow White
Hi, Larry and welcome to the forum! This is definitely the place to learn, and I agree with Curt, read the manual . . . it will be your new "best friend!" LOL

Looking forward to seeing your pics (I'm so envious of you guys so close to the Golden Gate and in the middle of wine country . . .sigh)

Best Regards

@ Essence of Imagery. I also am an hour north of that bridge. In the Town of Windsor.
I will work on the profile soon.
I have the kit lens. I also have a Sigma 70-300 DG Macro. It's not the best lens but it will work for now.

Well, I'm pretty sure you know where Sebastopol is, then. We should meet up sometime and go shooting. You can borrow some of my lenses while we're shooting to see if there's a particular one you find you need.

kevindepot

Well, I'm pretty sure you know where Sebastopol is, then. We should meet up sometime and go shooting. You can borrow some of my lenses while we're shooting to see if there's a particular one you find you need.
Thank You for the very kind offer. I will take you up on it down the road. For now, I just want to get used to it and learn how to shoot in other modes besides automatic.

nikko47

Thank You for the very kind offer. I will take you up on it down the road. For now, I just want to get used to it and learn how to shoot in other modes besides automatic.

Kevin, try the "A" which is Aperture priority. Bring the number to its lowest. That will give you the biggest opening. Shutter speed will just compensate. Amazing, isn't it? :D:D:D
Use it during the day. In the evening, try "S" for Shutter priority. Set the number to 60 and use flash. Aperture will again, amazingly compensate. ;)
Well, that's level 2 for a "beginner". At least you are not confined to just using the "P" or Program mode. And go out, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot and shoot.
Looking forward to your posted images.

Once you get comfortable with changing your ISO, Shutter Speed and Aperture, then you'll be amazed at what you can produce.
Just like the "fire triangle" of heat, fuel and oxygen - the process of taking a picture has a triangle.

ISO - how sensitive your "film"(sensor) is to light - the lower the number, the lower the sensitivity.
Aperture - how much light the lens lets in. - the lower the number, the more light it lets in.
Shutter Speed - how LONG the light gets in. Usually measured in fractions of a second (1/xxxx) the lower "xxxx" is, the slower the shutter speed.

How you assemble your triangle determines how the image turns out.

nikko47

Once you get comfortable with changing your ISO, Shutter Speed and Aperture, then you'll be amazed at what you can produce.
Just like the "fire triangle" of heat, fuel and oxygen - the process of taking a picture has a triangle.

ISO - how sensitive your "film"(sensor) is to light - the lower the number, the lower the sensitivity.
Aperture - how much light the lens lets in. - the lower the number, the more light it lets in.
Shutter Speed - how LONG the light gets in. Usually measured in fractions of a second (1/xxxx) the lower "xxxx" is, the slower the shutter speed.

You know what? I've learned photography in a long process and have gone to a lot of photographers for tips. But I never heard anyone as clear and precise as yours. That "triangle" thing? It amazed me because you said it in a very short explanation. If I heard that the day I got hold of my camera, I could have understood it right then and there. You must truly be a teacher.

Last edited:

kevindepot

Very well put. I have the basic concept somewhat figured out. What I don't have figured out is how much or little of each to apply to get the desired affect I'm looking for. I have spent hours in my back yard in different light changing settings to get an idea of what each change does.

Very well put. I have the basic concept somewhat figured out. What I don't have figured out is how much or little of each to apply to get the desired affect I'm looking for. I have spent hours in my back yard in different light changing settings to get an idea of what each change does.

When you have a couple of hours to spend out in the field, let me know. Just sharing what I've learned - I'm not charging for this, just enjoying helping another photographer grasp the basics.
The sooner you get to shooting images that you're hanging on the walls, and showing off to friends. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Here are the GENERAL rules of thumb.

1. ISO - usually used for adjusting how much light you have surrounding you - the brighter the light, the lower the ISO, the darker, the higher the ISO. The main exception I shoot is long-exposure night photography - if shutter speed doesn't matter, don't sacrifice image quality. Higher ISO numbers equal increased "noise" in your images.

Low ISO:
low-iso-example.jpg
vs.
high ISO:
high-iso-example.jpg

See inset for close-up

2. Aperture - usually used for adjusting depth of field (sometimes called depth of focus). If you want a background blurred out, use a smaller number (shorter DOF), if you want everything in focus, use a larger number (longer DOF).

Wide Open Aperture: (f/1.8)
small-dof-example.jpg

Stopped down Aperture: (f/8)
large-dof-example.jpg

3. Shutter Speed - In general, used to stop motion. The faster your shutter speed, the more you stop motion - in some instances that's a good thing, sometimes not so good.

Slower shutter speed: (1/80th)
slow-shutter-speed-example.jpg
vs.
Fast shutter speed: (1/1600th)
fast-shutter-speed-example.jpg

Vehicles were going approximately the same speed, look at the wheels for the best indicator of shutter speed.

Last edited: