Cropping FX to DX

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
Since I am new to upgrading to an FX camera (D600 from a D90), is it better to shoot in full frame and crop the image in post production or use the DX crop mode feature in camera? Will one yield a larger file and/or a better final image than the other especially if enlarged? Thanks for any help! :)

Dave_W

The Dude
Hmmm...that's an interesting question. I'm thinking it's a wash between the two so it'll be interesting to see what others think about this.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Depending on who you ask, opinions will vary. The main advantage of FX is low light high iso performance. As far as enlargements, let's say that it all depends. If you remove 25% of a 24mp D600 files, you'll end up with less than if you use the full 24mp or a D7100.

Cropping will reduce your ability to enlarge whatever format of camera you use. How large are you hoping to enlarge on a regular basis? This is what you should answer first.

BackdoorArts

The D600 will yield a smaller file in DX mode (~10MP's) that the D90 (12MPs). Unless I'm using a DX lens on the D600 I would take advantage of the full sensor and try and frame the image best I can in FX mode and then crop if necessary. With a DX lens you may still be able to use more of the sensor than the autocrop allows, so override the autoswap to DX mode and see how much more of the sensor you can cover (the rest will be black) and go with that.

Rick M

I would shoot first, crop later :). All you are doing is using a smaller part of the Fx sensor in crop mode. Lets say you are in crop mode and you shoot a bird flying by. If you shoot in Dx mode and the bird's wing tip is outside the cropped area in the viewfinder, you have permanently lost the wing tip. If you left it in Fx, with an Fx lens on, you capture everything you see in the viewfinder and can crop down later. Doesn't make any sense to me to reduce the field first when cropping afterwards has the same effect (unless you are using a Dx lens). You will have less noise and more dynamic range with the D600 cropped than the D90.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
Doesn't make any sense to me to reduce the field first when cropping afterwards has the same effect (unless you are using a Dx lens). You will have less noise and more dynamic range with the D600 cropped than the D90.

This is good to know! Thanks for the info.

I will be taking some low light photos theater photos and will use my Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8. Since I don't own a longer lens that would perform well in low light, I want to be sure to use whichever method would offer the best quality. Most likely I'd need to crop many of the pics if I go with full frame. I'm doing this for no charge so I don't want to rent a different lens. And I really don't want to use two cameras either because I need to use a tripod and have such little room to work (I'll be up in the lighting area). Thanks again to all as I'm trying to wrap my pea-brain around this! ;)

Rick M

It does get a bit confusing! Cropping in advance (Dx mode) just limits your possibilities if using an Fx lens. You may find you can get more in the frame and if a closer opportunity arises you are already in the right mode.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I think I misread the question. i thought the question was about DX vs FX and that hark hadn't bought the D600 yet.

Sorry about my first answer.