Out of Auto Focus on 17 - 35mm f2.8

300S&800E

Just got a bad new from Nikon repair shop indicate it cost almost $500 to repair this 11 years old lens of 17 - 35mm f2.8. The problem occured when I was playing this len with my D800E on live view. After turned off the live view, 800E and this lens can't perform any auto focus. Try on my other len, 50mm f1.8, and it kills as well. Submit all three items to Nikon factory for repair, D800E and 50mm were fixed under warranty, but this len of 17 - 35mm f2.8 just does not auto focus anymore. Anyone has experience with that and any suggestion would be appreciate. Thanks advance,:smile-new:

Rick M

I have not had that experience, but I wonder if putting $500 in that lens is really worth it. Difficult choice, good luck.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Just got a bad new from Nikon repair shop indicate it cost almost $500 to repair this 11 years old lens of 17 - 35mm f2.8. The problem occured when I was playing this len with my D800E on live view. After turned off the live view, 800E and this lens can't perform any auto focus. Try on my other len, 50mm f1.8, and it kills as well. Submit all three items to Nikon factory for repair, D800E and 50mm were fixed under warranty, but this len of 17 - 35mm f2.8 just does not auto focus anymore. Anyone has experience with that and any suggestion would be appreciate. Thanks advance,:smile-new:

Have you tried using the lens on another Nikon just to make sure it's not the body again?

300S&800E

No, I do not think it is worth of $500 repair since I did it two year ago for motor issue which is around$280. I just treat it as manaul focus and back to the good old day..
Now I get a great excuse to get 28 - 70mm f2.8 len. Start saving some dough.

300S&800E

Have you tried using the lens on another Nikon just to make sure it's not the body again?
Right after the lens does not auto focus, I did try it on my D300S, but it did not work. The lens just been treat it as manual len for now...At least, it is not my 70-200 F2.8 len.