Back to basics.

JDFlood

After getting back into SLR once digital got it's feet on the ground around 2004 with a D200 and some zooms, I am headed firmly back to primes. Now with the D800 I have a basket full of primes, switched my normal from a 50mm f1.4 ( my dads normal along with his Olds) to a 35mm f1.4 and sometimes 28mm f1.8. I have a 185mm zoom, but don't use it much, since I do landscapes and a 185mm will put too much air in between the subject an the camera. I am still addicted to my 14mm - 24mm zoom, but not as much as my 85mm. I think my photography is improving, in part because of it. I get the depth of field better because I have the lens fixed instead of zooming around, I get much better light performance ( dark up here in the Pacific NW). What are other people's experiences over time? JD

piperbarb

when i used film, my favorite lens of choice was an 85 mm lens for most things & 105 mm for macro stuff. I now have a D3000 & D7000 & still primarily use those two lenses. I am trying to force myself out of that lens comfort zone. sometimes it works & sometimes it does not. :)

crycocyon

Most of my work with film long ago was with a 50 mm f2 or 28 mm f 2.8 or 135 f2.8 (that is to say industrial photography). The bulk of my nature photography was split 50/50 between the 50 mm and a 100-300 f5.6 zoom with macro capability. Those were my two workhorses. Now I find myself trying to find a new lens groove with this D800 because unlike the D7000 where I could just play with inexpensive zooms, I have to think more carefully about how I will approach particular subjects. Apart from a 100-300 Ai-S zoom I have coming soon, I just plan to get primes for my D800 (have the 180 2.8 Ai-S also coming soon, so the 85 1.4G is next). I look forward to testing different lenses both old and new with this camera (have my eye on the 105 f1.8 Ai-S and 28 f2.8 Ai-S as well, and someday when I can afford it, the 24 f1.4G, 200 f/2 and 300 f/2....although the 300 is just dreaming).

Rick M

The only lenses I use are in my signature. Once I saw the results of the 50mm and D600, all my zooms were sold and replaced with these. I am a bit frustrated with the fact that there are no really good primes at 20mm or below. I may pick up the new 18-35 as a toy until a good UW prime is produced (nikon filed patents a year ago for 18mm and 20mm 1.8g's). If those materialize, or a better ziess comes out, I'll sell the 18-35. I'm spending a lot of time with my 28 and 85 lately. I'm a prime snob now :).

JDFlood

The only lenses I use are in my signature. Once I saw the results of the 50mm and D600, all my zooms were sold and replaced with these. I am a bit frustrated with the fact that there are no really good primes at 20mm or below. I may pick up the new 18-35 as a toy until a good UW prime is produced (nikon filed patents a year ago for 18mm and 20mm 1.8g's). If those materialize, or a better ziess comes out, I'll sell the 18-35. I'm spending a lot of time with my 28 and 85 lately. I'm a prime snob now :).

Honestly those are great lenses. Those focal lengths are my favorites as well. JD

piperbarb

Rick, there is nothing wrong with being a lens snob. I think I have been one from the beginning. You still cannot beat the results of a prime as compared to a zoom. I think that is why I always lean towards a prime lens. Also, you can get faster prime lenses than zooms. I like fast lenses because you cannot always use a flash in low light situations.

I also am not a fan of non-mfr lenses. I realize that not everyone can afford Nikon lenses and that a lot of the other lenses, such as Sigma, Tokina, Tamron, etc. are really good lenses, and definitely help make a variety of lenses available that people may not otherwise be able to afford, but I still prefer Nikon lenses for Nikon cameras.

That's just me, and I am not judging anyone for the lenses they use. Use what works and don't worry about it. :)

JDFlood

I may pick up the new 18-35 as a toy until a good UW prime is produced (nikon filed patents a year ago for 18mm and 20mm 1.8g's).:).

Seriously, pick up a 14mm - 24mm zoom, it is unreal good. It's the only non-prime zoom I use. It is wonderful. JD

Last edited by a moderator:

Incubate

Love my 85mm and my 105mm. Also being locked into primes means you have to consider and reconsider your shot which I think does make one a better photographer.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
What are other people's experiences over time? JD

I shoot both primes and zooms. Each lenses have their own unique qualities and benefits that can produce amazing sharpness and results.

The way I look at it, the primes are more of a specialty lenses for specific purposes. An 85mm for example is mostly used for portrait shots head and shoulders type. A 105mm f2.8 macro lens for macro and portrait, 300mm for wildlife or sports. Although there is no limitation on what you can use these images with, this is how I view them.

The zoom lenses gives me the flexibility when "space" requires some consideration in order to get the right framing. My go-to lenses when it comes to these events are the Nikon 24-70-200mm f2.8.