How do you shoot with your long lens?

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I purchased a Nikon 300mm f4 back in December and due to the busy holidays and cold weather, it ended up being stuck in my camera bag. I haven't shot with it and tomorrow I would like to shoot a HS baseball game.

So my question to those who have been shooting with longer lenses, do you prefer hand-holding your lens, hand-hold with foot removed, monopod or use a tripod in most cases? This is what I had in mind (with monopod) but it might be an over kill. What do you guys think?

Longlens support by gqtuazon, on Flickr

BackdoorArts

With my Sigma 150-500mm I'm usually handheld with the mounting ring off. If I'm on an early morning birding walk with people with spotting scopes then I will usually have it mounted to a monopod and slung over my shoulder, and I'll occasionally tripod mount it for shots of the moon or in certain conditions with wildlife. Let's say 90% handheld, 9% on a monopod and 1% on the tripod.

That's a real sturdy setup you have there, but IMO it's absolute overkill on a monopod. On a tripod where you want it locked tight, then that's perfect. But for me it's too much on the monopod.

AC016

Personally, it's a bit overdone. My 400mm weighs nearly 4 pounds and is nearly a foot long. I just put it on top of my tripod, that's it. Monopod would be best for your situation since you may have to swing the camera in different directions. Again, i don't see the point in the strap and rail, but that's just me.

crycocyon

Yes there's no point having that level of stabilization when you are putting it on a monopod because a monopod tilts and sways more than that stabilization would serve over just having the camera on a ball head.

When I used to shoot with my old 100-300 zoom, I never left the house without a Manfrotto Triminor tripod with a 3-way standard head. It didn't matter how far or how long I had to walk, I always brought the tripod with me. The tripod actually protected me from a fairly prolonged red-tailed hawk attack once. ;)

gqtuazon

Gear Head
That's a real sturdy setup you have there, but IMO it's absolute overkill on a monopod. On a tripod where you want it locked tight, then that's perfect. But for me it's too much on the monopod.

Personally, it's a bit overdone. My 400mm weighs nearly 4 pounds and is nearly a foot long. I just put it on top of my tripod, that's it. Monopod would be best for your situation since you may have to swing the camera in different directions. Again, i don't see the point in the strap and rail, but that's just me.

Jake / AC016 - Thanks for your feedback and for your honest opinion. I'll go back to the basic of keeping it simple. I'll just use the lens foot and a monopod without the lens support for less weight. :)

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Yes there's no point having that level of stabilization when you are putting it on a monopod because a monopod tilts and sways more than that stabilization would serve over just having the camera on a ball head.
;)

That's another option. Since this will be a baseball game, I'll take the ballhead with me as an added option to see which set-up works well for me. I might just end up hand-holding it since it is nice and sunny today in my area.

Sambr

I have the same lens it very rarely is mounted on a tripod 80% of the time I use a mono pod the other 20 handheld. On mine the Nikon 1.4 TC is on it all the time so it's a 420mm.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I have the same lens it very rarely is mounted on a tripod 80% of the time I use a mono pod the other 20 handheld. On mine the Nikon 1.4 TC is on it all the time so it's a 420mm.

Thanks for your feedback Sam. I just returned from the games and the monopod was a must for me since there is no way I can get a steady shot unless I augment it with a higher shutter speed.

I think if I brought some knee pads, everything would have worked out well.

Sambr

That's awesome Glenn. The 300mmf4 will serve you well. Word of caution it doesn't have a back element carful when taking it of your camera dust doesn't get in. It's another reason I keep the 1.4 TC on mine 24/7

WhiteLight

Wow.. that looks really awesome :)
And you serious that you have had some amazing new tech-candy at hands reach for the last 3 months and you didn't drool at the thought of playing with it..
I bet anything that i don't have that kinda will power Glenn!

I don't have a 300mm, but the 70-300 which am guessing is much lighter.
That is one of my favorite lens & i've shot with it hand held & on tripod.
Obviously for a baseball game the tripod would be meaningless as you'll need to hand hold the camera most of the time unless you have some specific kind of shots you want to take in mind.
A monopod maybe helpful

hand-hold with foot removed

Is this some kinda trick photography technique??
I like my feet where they are & have no intentions of pulling them off :p

Just kidding Glenn.. have fun at the game & good luck with the new toy

gqtuazon

Gear Head
That's awesome Glenn. The 300mmf4 will serve you well. Word of caution it doesn't have a back element carful when taking it of your camera dust doesn't get in. It's another reason I keep the 1.4 TC on mine 24/7

Sam - Great point and thanks for the tip. I'll attach my 1.4 tc with it from now on.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Wow.. that looks really awesome :)
And you serious that you have had some amazing new tech-candy at hands reach for the last 3 months and you didn't drool at the thought of playing with it..
I bet anything that i don't have that kinda will power Glenn!

I don't have a 300mm, but the 70-300 which am guessing is much lighter.
That is one of my favorite lens & i've shot with it hand held & on tripod.
Obviously for a baseball game the tripod would be meaningless as you'll need to hand hold the camera most of the time unless you have some specific kind of shots you want to take in mind.
A monopod maybe helpful

Is this some kinda trick photography technique??
I like my feet where they are & have no intentions of pulling them off :p

Just kidding Glenn.. have fun at the game & good luck with the new toy

Thank you. The monopod worked out well for me. I wish I had some knee pads to make it a little bit more comfortable.

I have plenty of toys to play with and the 300mm was just too close for general type photography.

Dave_W

The Dude
Say Glenn, I'm curious - are Nikon products significantly cheaper in Japan than elsewhere or are they priced about the same everywhere else?

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Say Glenn, I'm curious - are Nikon products significantly cheaper in Japan than elsewhere or are they priced about the same everywhere else?

That all depends on the exchange rate. The USD has been gaining its strength lately. 4 months ago, it was around 1: 75 yen and now it has creep up to 1:95 yen.

If you buy a Panasonic GH3 with 12-35mm f2.8 and 35-100mm f2.8 (equivalent to a 24-70-200mm f2.8 with Nikon lenses), you can save up to $900 if you buy them from amazon.com japan compared to amazon.com.

Bukitimah

I guess we are all in the same boat. I am now holidaying in Spain & Portugal and decided to bring my 70-300 plus 1.4 teleconverter. I am in my 5 days of my holiday and the lens is still in my bag since day 1. Almost all this while, I use my 17-50 f2,8.

There were times I wish I have the 11-16 but changing of lens is going to take too much time when traveling with a big group. However, what happen if there is just one occasion that I need that zoom?