Will A Battery Grip For A D3100 Fit A D3200 Properly?

NFA Fabrication

I bought a battey grip for my D3200 (Listed for a D3100), and it fits the camera and works, but the fitment is not great around the front of the camera by the right hand grip area. Is the base of the D3100 shaped slightly differently than the base of the D3200, or is it just a product design flaw?

My buddy just bought a D3100, but I haven't had a chance to fit it to his camera to see. If they are different, I will sell this one to him, and buy a more appropriate on for my camera. If that is the case, what is the best fitting one for the D3200?

BackdoorArts

If it's a third party grip then form and fit may be off even on the intended model depending on the manufacturer. You'd have to check the camera specs for the two cameras to see if the grips between the two models are the same. If they are then the fit should be similar on the cameras. If they're not, all I can say is that if Nikon has a different grip specified for your camera then I would be leery about using another one. It may "fit" and it may "work" but there are likely some specs that don't match, and when you're dealing with a power source for your camera that would bother me since over and underpowering electronics is a sure shortcut to failure.

HotHits

I bought a battey grip for my D3200 (Listed for a D3100), and it fits the camera and works, but the fitment is not great around the front of the camera by the right hand grip area. Is the base of the D3100 shaped slightly differently than the base of the D3200, or is it just a product design flaw?My buddy just bought a D3100, but I haven't had a chance to fit it to his camera to see. If they are different, I will sell this one to him, and buy a more appropriate on for my camera. If that is the case, what is the best fitting one for the D3200?
Got one for the D3100 from a company called NEEWER and the fit is great.

Attachments

• 1 Nikon D3200 with D3100 Grip .jpg
    1 Nikon D3200 with D3100 Grip .jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 17,165
Last edited:

RockyNH_RIP

What do you do with the battery compartment cover when you fit one of these grips?

With both the Neweer and Meike units, it should have a holder for the door in the upright that fits into the battery opening. Thats where mine is stored on my D5100

Pat in NH

RockyNH_RIP

What do you do with the battery compartment cover when you fit one of these grips?

Here are a couple quick photos from my cell phone...

showing my 5100 door with grip behind...

20130327_094558_edit0.jpg

showing the door in the slot in the grip made to hold it...

20130327_094612_edit0.jpg

This has worked well in my D5100...

Pat in NH

marce

I'm after some more advice please, had a look, and would appreciate any recommendations for removing the battery cover, as it does look rather delicate in places. Thanks Marc

skene

If you put the cover on a 45* angle you can easily and gently pull it off. Just remember to put it into the angle before pulling.

kakingvjnr23

just bought mine a week ago for my D3200 however i noticed that i inserted both the batteries it drain out simultaneously. i thought that if both are inserted one will be on stand by mode whlel the other is in use. Pls advise..thanks