It's mid-March in FL and you know what that means...........

STM

.......the start of beautiful women, sun dresses and itty bitty bikini's!

This one is from last year this time, but it is just about that time again this year! It is 68° with cloudless skies here right now and with that kind of glorious weather comes beach shoots again! It's a dirty, miserable job, but someone has to do it, and it might as well be me!

D700, 180mm f/2.8 ED AIS, 8x ND filter and fill flash

Shawnda_zpsa065ce24.jpg

Last edited:

Mfrankfort

Nice picture too. Did you use the on board flash for fill, or speed-light? Thinking of adding a speedlight to the arsenal, that could eventually be used with modifiers.

STM

Nice picture too. Did you use the on board flash for fill, or speed-light? Thinking of adding a speedlight to the arsenal, that could eventually be used with modifiers.

I used a single (I think, it may have been 2, I can't remember) Sunpak 544 set in manual and mounted on a light stand and triggered with an RF trigger. The usual setting is around 1/8 or 1/4 power. I set just enough fill (20%) using a flash meter, to open up any shadows without creating any noticeable ones of its own.

As for the weather, yours sounds like ours, kinda........."if you don't like the weather in FL, just wait 15 minutes, it will change". We have had an unseasonably warm winter this year, which is never a good thing. I honestly cannot think of more than maybe one time where our temperatures have dipped below 30° at night. It was in the mid 70°'s last week. You enjoy it while it is here, knowing that the Gulf will be warmer come summer and the hurricane season most likely more active.

Moab Man

As for the weather, yours sounds like ours, kinda........."if you don't like the weather in FL, just wait 15 minutes, it will change".

Is there a state where the people don't say this? I live in the second driest state, meaning it doesn't rain here, and the native Utahans say that all the time. Move them back east and they wouldn't know which end is up regarding weather changes.

I do miss Miami though. Could set your watch by the afternoon rains and every morning was like waking up in paradise - sun and blue skies.

STM

Is there a state where the people don't say this? I live in the second driest state, meaning it doesn't rain here, and the native Utahans say that all the time. Move them back east and they wouldn't know which end is up regarding weather changes.

I do miss Miami though. Could set your watch by the afternoon rains and every morning was like waking up in paradise - sun and blue skies.

Same here, summer afternoon thunderstorms roll in between 2:00 and 2:30, dump an inch of rain and then the sun is out by 3:00. But this has been an unseasonably warm winter so we are kind of bracing for what could be an active hurricane season. I do chuckle somewhat when the folks up nawth complain about "gale force winds" with their no'easters or whatever. Are you kidding me, we get those almost every day with our thunderstorms! And hurricanes? Hell, until the winds get into the high 90's and triple digits, it is business as usual here! LOL

Last edited:

Patrick M

Bizarre coincidence maybe, but its mid-March here in England too!
Some kind of govt conspiracy I reckon....they'll be taxing us on the amount of rainfall next...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD