Are diffusers for pop-up flash worthwhile?

Horoscope Fish

Are diffusers for the pop-up flash worthwhile? If yes, any suggestions on brand/style? Thanks.
Tough call, this one... On the one hand I want to say yes, because if nothing else they eliminate red-eye. That being said, there are so many strobes that are just SOOO much better than the pop-up flash for so little money I have a hard time telling you a diffuser for the pop-up is a worthwhile investment (see the Neewer TT560 for but one example... (runs ~$40!)). Eliminating that fact from the equation, though... If you decide to go the pop-up diffuser route, I know the Gary Fong "type" diffusers do an adequate job. You can get the Cowboy Studio version for about $10 taxed and shipped to your door.

Edit: Looks like Amazon is out of the Cowboy Studio version... The Gary Fong set up is good, if a bit overpriced at about $16, but it's in stock at least...

Last edited by a moderator:

Epoc

If that's what flash your using, then yes. Anything that diffuses the light will help with blown out spots and shadows. One thing that I think helps on board flash is negative flash exposure. Dial it down. They almost always shoot too bright.

STM

I have a rectangular one (box shaped actually) which slides into the notches around the front of my Sunpak 544's, similar to the Amazon one in the photo below, and it allows me to fill the frame evenly with light down to a 20mm lens on FX. It actually almost covers a full frame 16mm fisheye lens! You lose roughly a stop using it, but it also softens the light considerably too. If you can find one for your popup flash then by all means it would be a worthwhile investment. But as has already been said, pop up flash are very anemic when it comes to power, a separate flash is a much better bet.

sunpak_544_blotto_3169_2_large.jpg

Photo Joe

If you really want to diffuse your on camera flash and do it on the cheap, you could always try using some white paper to block it, or if you wanted to spend a little money, buy a sb 400 and you could bounce the flash upward.

evan447

a simple cigarette paper does the job. its a trick i learnt years ago! mind you, flash exposure compensation is there to be used!

personally I have given them up as they reduce the light output too much and dont solve the side shadow if you turn the camera into portrait. The only thing that does is this flash flipper ....dont use a fash without one ...$20

Attachments

• flash flipper.jpg
    flash flipper.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 305
  • lenstest 287.jpg
    lenstest 287.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 483
Last edited:
If you look at the photos you will see that the flash is always over the lens in both portrait and landscape ...does you bracket do the same ?? I oould not want people to think it did if it did not ..Having the flash as close to the lens is also vital to reduce shadows on walls behind...I the work I do it is not possible to lift the flash high enough to throw the shadow out of the picture ..3-4 ft

Attachments

• lenstest 287.jpg
    lenstest 287.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 192

carguy

That contradicts everything I've heard or read about moving the flash away from or off the same axis as the body/lens to help avoid things like unwanted shadows/red-eye etc??

If you are in a non studio situation you can only minimise shadows on walls behind people ( say guest making speaches at a wedding) and to do this you need the flash over the lens and as close to the lens as possible .....That flip bracket is the best kept wedding photographers secret ever....

But I give it you for free ....!!!

ohkphoto

Snow White
That contradicts everything I've heard or read about moving the flash away from or off the same axis as the body/lens to help avoid things like unwanted shadows/red-eye etc??

Nikon's CLS (creative lighting system) makes it very easy to use multiple flashes remotely so you can take charge of "unwanted shadows". That's why I stay with Nikon speedlights. I've used 2-3 off-camera flashes and tweak the individual EV's from the camera.

carguy

Nikon's CLS (creative lighting system) makes it very easy to use multiple flashes remotely so you can take charge of "unwanted shadows". That's why I stay with Nikon speedlights. I've used 2-3 off-camera flashes and tweak the individual EV's from the camera.
Correct. I'm just now starting to play with studio lighting. Stand, umbrella and trigger is on the way :)

Above I am referring to a situation when stationary lighting is not an option.

Quote ....I use 2-3 off camera speedlights ...I am sure you do but not at weddings and I only shoot weddings...and my wife blasting away off to my side oh joy ..... if you pi$$ about it must take hours and you get a bad reputation for being slow ...True if you use models/take the bride back the next week ..pay for flowers and suits etc but thats not my market. ..... done next please ......

Last edited:

ohkphoto

Snow White
Quote ....I use 2-3 off camera speedlights ...I am sure you do but not at weddings and I only shoot weddings...and my wife blasting away off to my side oh joy ..... if you pi$$ about it must take hours and you get a bad reputation for being slow ...True if you use models/take the bride back the next week ..pay for flowers and suits etc but thats not my market. ..... done next please ......

That may be so, but every wedding situation is different . . . some brides want "signature" shots and others are happy with the "spray and pray".

The topic does not refer to a specific area of photography, and fortunately there are many other genres besides weddings for which photographers would like to use flash.