70-210mm on d40

clix

I recently got a d40, and after looking around for lenses, a local camera shop had a 70-200mm f/4 series e. They offered a great price, so I bought it. They said it would work great on the d40 just would have to be full manual.

It mounted on the d40 great, and focuses through the eyelet great. The problem is upon snapping a photo it delays for about 4 seconds before completing the cycle. Then the photo just displays solid white.

Any suggestions?

vindex1963

Shoot in "S" and set the aperture on the lens. Remember or search the "sunny 16" rule. The D40 will not meter a manual lens you have to do it. You might get frustrated at first but trial and error will give a you a better understanding of exposure. Do not shoot in manual "M" shoot in Shutter "S". Start at a shutter speed of 80 with the aperture wide open.

clix

Shoot in "S" and set the aperture on the lens. Remember or search the "sunny 16" rule. The D40 will not meter a manual lens you have to do it. You might get frustrated at first but trial and error will give a you a better understanding of exposure. Do not shoot in manual "M" shoot in Shutter "S". Start at a shutter speed of 80 with the aperture wide open.

If I attempt to shoot in "S" it states "lens not attached".

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Rexer John

No shutter set. Switched lenses, instant snap.

You need to set a shutter speed in manual mode, it doesn't set itself.

The amount of light reaching your sensor is a combination of the aperture (how wide the lens opening is), and the shutter speed (the length of time the light is allowed to enter the sensor).

What is your shutter speed set to? You need to make it much faster if the picture is all white.

clix

You need to set a shutter speed in manual mode, it doesn't set itself.

The amount of light reaching your sensor is a combination of the aperture (how wide the lens opening is), and the shutter speed (the length of time the light is allowed to enter the sensor).

What is your shutter speed set to? You need to make it much faster if the picture is all white.

Once this battery charges, I will check. Finally just found the manual online.

Still new to this camera, and DSLR's. I've used a SLR before, that was from the 80's (I believe) and had good results with film, so I urged to get back to it!

Thanks in advance for all of the help!