Nikon 70-200 VRI Hood Question

amleduc

I purchased this lens on Ebay. It arrived with a rubber hood installed and an HB-48 hood in the box. I had never seen a rubber hood before and didn't realize what it was. I couldn't install the HB-48 and noticed that I could unscrew the rubber hood. This allowed me to install the HB-48, but then the lens cap wouldn't fit.

At the time, I didn't understand what was going on. I purchased a 77mm Hoya filter and it didn't fit. &#^%$

On further examination I realized the rubber attachment was a collapsible lens hood and that the threads to which the rubber hood attaches to the lens are larger than the 77mm.

With the rubber hood attached, the lens cap and filter are correct, but you cannot attach the HB-48 hood. With the rubber hood removed, you can attach the HB-48 hood but the lens cap and filter are the wrong size.

I'm assuming the rubber hood is the stock set up, but the Nikon site says the HB-48 was included so I'm confused. What was included with this lens and how are the two hoods designed to work?