D300S Blur Issue

pmillage

Good day fine folks. I hope you can help me as I am losing business with this issue. I have enclosed a sample photo of a dining room
_KIN0752.jpg. If you look around the edges there is major 'blur" occuring which is new to my photos. I use a tripod and shoot in aperture mode. Why is this happening please!

BackdoorArts

Same lens, processing software, etc? Are you covering the eyepiece when you shoot? That shouldn't impact clarity as much as lighting, but who knows?!

There's no exif data on the image, so it's hard to debug.

pedroj

Have you opened the aperture up and created a narrower DOF...As Jake said without the exif data it's hard to come up with a fix...

Rexer John

Did you leave VR on. If so, turn if off when using a tripod.

I see a few posts on here saying I don't need to turn VR off because it's a solid tripod and the camera is not moving anyway.
VR does cause internal lens movement after the mirror flips up and can cause a blur on all or a part of the image.
A long slow shutter wont be very noticeable, and a very fast shutter may freeze the image even with internal lens movement. Speeds around 1/8 to 1/60 are likely to be most affected, the time will vary with different lenses. Also longer focal lengths will be most affected but all have blur potential.

The switch is there for a reason, one of the reasons is for tripod use.

fotojack

thank you all very much for your replies....good advice!. I found the exif data

f9.5 1/30 ISO 2200

In the picture you posted, there looks to be a lot of available light coming in from the window, plus from the overhead chandelier.......so why such a high ISO? Did you have Auto ISO turned on?
Just my personal opinion, but, I would have shot this at f/11 1/30 ISO 400.

fotojack

Not sure if you did a typo Fotojack.
f11 is a smaller aperture, same speed (1/30), if you drop the iso as well as reducing the aperture size you will have a very dark picture.

As I said, sure it's a typo as you know your photography.

Oh Jeez! Nice catch, John! lol Yeah, definitely a typo. I meant to say a speed of 1 sec. and ISO of at least 800. f/11 will have more DOF. It was late at night and I was tired. My bad. Thanks for that, John. :)

Last edited:

Rexer John

Oh Jeez! Nice catch, John! lol Yeah, definitely a typo. I meant to say a speed of 1 sec. and ISO of at least 800. f/11 will have more DOF. It was late at night and I was tired. My bad. Thanks for that, John. :)

No problem mate,

Guessing you meant at most 800 ISO, lol.