New to DSLR - Shooting in Aperture Mode

totcamry

I have a D7000 and it came with a nikkor 18-105 f3.5 - 5.6 lens. I am totally new to DSLR and I want to learn to shoot bokeh. I mostly want to take pictures of my 16 month old. I am confused because when I am at 105 mm the aperture is at 5.6. It changes automatically when I zoom. I thought that by having it in A mode, I would be in control and by being at 105 mm, I could be at 3.5. So, is there any way to change this?

Eye-level

Banned
On the 105 side your aperture is going to be 5.6 which is good enough for limited bokeh...the key is to get a lot of distance between your subject and the background. You need a fast 85 prime and it will serve you well from 16 months on out until the child has children of their own... :)

Last edited:

Horoscope Fish

I thought that by having it in A mode, I would be in control and by being at 105 mm, I could be at 3.5. So, is there any way to change this?
In "A"perture Priority mode you are in control of the aperture; but only to the degree the lens allows it and at 105mm you can't have it both ways. Meaning you can't that much zoom AND and a big aperture (at least not without paying BIG bucks). You can have 3.5 at 18mm but as your level of zoom increases, so does your aperture. This is one of the many tradeoffs we learn to deal with as photographers.

Photo Joe

Not sure what your budget is now that you picked up the D7000 kit, but it might not hurt to buy a 50mm 1.8d ($100 or less) to help with provide nice shallow depth of field. I think it would serve you well as you start out taking pics of the little one.

crycocyon

I agree with Joe, you need a more bokelicious lens. :D The lens you have just isn't suited to isolating subjects against a perfectly out-of-focus background because of the relatively small maximum aperture (which based on the lens design is 5.6 at 105 mm).

LouCioccio

While you are at it look at this forums for tips in the Learning Photography Forum (I am assuming you never shot with an SLR/DSLR if I am wrong, no offense).

If you are new you should pick Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure as the D7000 is really not a point and shoot. His book will give you a good basic on exposure. Another site that may be most helpful is here:
Photography Tips - DCViews

Good shooting,

Lou Cioccio

stmv

ok,, you invested in a D7000 which is a serious investment, and the D7000 is a great tool for exactly the journey you are looking for. The best part is the D7000 can use old manual lenses, and also the older autofocus lenses that have the motor drive in the camera (like your D7000).

So,, Here is a great lens for exactly what you are trying to accomplish with your new child.

The Nikor 85 f/1.8D AF for 320 dollars (but they are running out of stock)

of course,, RIGHT NOW the G version is on sale (newer one)

Nikkor 85 F/1.8 G AF for 396 from 499, and it is a hair better than the older one.

Also 50 mm F/1.8 D is an awesome lens, at an awesome price of 129 dollars BRAND NEW!

the DX sensor multiplies the focal length by 1.5 making this the classic 85 mm full frame focal length.

So,, all depends on how close you want to be from the subject, the larger the focal length the farther away, and can also isolate your subject more at shallower depth of field, but,, good advice here from the previous posters; get yourself a dedicated portrait lens, and for a fraction of what you have invested so far.

FOR... those once in a lifetime portraits....

Oh,, and babies don't stay the same for long, so hurry!

Last edited by a moderator:

crycocyon

Nikkor 85 F/1.8 G AF for 396 from 499, and it is a hair better than the older one.

Testing shows that the 1.8 G is just as good as the 1.4 G and quite a bit better than the 1.8 D (based on DxOMark testing). The 1.4G has the highest score of any lens they tested (!) so the 1.8G is outstanding as well. I mean, we are talking about G lenses here that put Zeiss optics to shame.

edit: cricky! you are right! The 85 g is on sale!!! Please wait while I'll be right back ;)

Last edited:

eurotrash

I am soooo stealing that...

too late, digitalrevtv already coins it, lol.

Agree with everyone here. You're limited by your lens homie. Get a better lens that has a fixed aperture such as one stating "1.8" or "2.8", not "3.5 - 5.6" That's a RANGE of the maximums at their extremes of zoom. Such it is with zooms...unless they're bokehlicious lenses that come with bokelicious prices.