D800 video discussion

crycocyon

I couldn't find a video section here, so I thought I would start a thread discussing D800 in a video rather than still capacity. If anyone uses the D800 for video or has a nice vid rig they'd like to show please do! I just got the Rode pro mic and after an initial test it certainly has nice pickup compared to the built-in mic. The beginnings of a vid rig. :D And I'm just a beginner so this is more for me to learn from videographers that have some experience with the D800.

TDD800wRodepro.jpgTDD800wRodeproL.jpg

Ruidoso Bill

Video was one of the reasons I bought the D800, I do web sites and had a need for some home page "Welcome" messages, haven't put it in to practice yet but hope to soon. I have mic envy.

capitaltpt

I got the D800, in part, due to it's video capabilities as well. Waiting for the next bonus check from work before I start building a rig however. I'll post pics when I can. Nice to have a thread to discuss DSLR video. I think they should ad one to the main boards.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I couldn't find a video section here, so I thought I would start a thread discussing D800 in a video rather than still capacity. If anyone uses the D800 for video or has a nice vid rig they'd like to show please do! I just got the Rode pro mic and after an initial test it certainly has nice pickup compared to the built-in mic. The beginnings of a vid rig. :D And I'm just a beginner so this is more for me to learn from videographers that have some experience with the D800.

I've shared this image before but this is what my set-up usually looks like using a Manfrotto 701HD fluid video head for smoother panning. Nikon ME-1 doesn't need a AAA or AA battery, so that's a plus for me.

D800E video rig by gqtuazon, on Flickr

crycocyon

Thanks for the replies so far. Yes I agree that we need an entire section on the forum devoted to Nikon DSLR video because there's no way a single thread could do the topic justice. But at least this thread could serve as a starting point.

Nice rig Glenn. I also want to get one of those Kirk L-brackets. I like how you set yours up to support the mic by itself and still be able to use the flash. You might think about getting an LED light instead of the flash? I'm a Manfrotto fan as well (have a Manfrotto Triminar). So can you use the fluid head for general photography? I would guess going vertical is the problem with it. I was planning to get one of the Manfrotto ball heads and put a rig on that. ;) Then of course there is the external LCD screen to get as well. The ME-1 is nice too, as the Rode requires a 9V battery.

Just to give people an idea of what the D800 is capable of becoming a part of, here's a great image of one in action during a production:

d800-redrock-IMG_3324.jpg

And the kind of rig I would like...something compact...

lanparte-tripod-rig-for-hd-video-cameras-canon-nikon-sony.jpglanparte-tripod-rig-for-hd-video-cameras-canon-nikon-sony_03.jpg

Here is Lanparte's full rig on the left and a variation on the right:

2.jpg8434069987_24e0df665a_z.jpg

Here's a D800 with just external LCD screen and LED light source (edit: note the variable ND filter on the D800 lens...this is to be able to keep the shutter speed low)...
photo571.jpg

Then there are topics like primes lenses for Nikon (best example being the Zeiss primes), etc..

Last edited:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I use a Arca-swiss Z1 ballhead when it comes to photography since the video head cannot compensate the horizon if mounted on uneven floor. You'll need to adjust the tripod legs to keep the horizon even.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Yes, the Arca is fairly pricy but supposed to be the best. Right ok I thought so about the video head. I did a quick search for something that combines both features of a video and still photography tripod head and found this:

Manfrotto MH055M8-Q5 Photo/Video Head

Manfrotto MH055M8-Q5 Photo-Movie Tripod Head With Q5 MH055M8-Q5

I am not a fan of Manfrotto quick release system. If you look closely on my rig, I added an arca swiss compatible clamp which allows me to use my arca swiss system which are compatible with Really Right Stuff and Kirk.

Re: Flash vs LED. The flash was intended for me to use if I need to switch to still photography. If the light is dim, I just compensate it with higher ISO.

Incubate

One major necessity is a variable ND filter. Best control the light through the ND than having to mess with shutter speed etc. You'll also want to get an Azden DSLR audio mixer so you can get some proper audio. Also make use of the full HD out through the HDMI with a Atomos Ninja 2 / Samurai or some other external recorder.

Chacon

You'll also want to get an Azden DSLR audio mixer so you can get some proper audio.

Instead of an audio mixer, I use a field recorder, Zoom H4N. It has built-in stereo mics, has 2 XLR mic inputs, records 4 tracks to your D800 mic input as well as an SD card or via USB into your computer. 24-bit, 96kHz. During downtime on the set, I use it to record all kinds of environmental sounds to be used as filler, background, room-tone, foley, etc. Without something like this field recorder, you'd have to have your D800 recording a movie in order to record any sound.

crycocyon