YES!!!! I OWN THE Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VRII FINALLY!!!

RookieDSLR

I just got my Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VRII from the local camera store ($2099.99), they were out so I had to order one and it took longer than they expected. But.....I have finally got it my hands and compared to what all the other people are saying it is not that heavy believe it or not. Bulky yes but not heavy! I took some sample photos outside of my 5yr old running around and had the D600 set on continuous auto focus and 39pts and it tracked him the entire time and not a single shot was out of focus!!! I absolutely love it that I think I will sleep with it under my pillow. LOL Well I will load some samples later tonight/tomorrow when I get a chance. Heeeee....Haaawwwwww:love-struck:

;)Jeremy V.

RookieDSLR

Here are some pics of the 70-200 on my D600 as well as some sample shots. Thanks

Jeremy V

IMAG1622.jpg IMAG1623.jpg

IMAG1624.jpg
(Sorry for the cell phone pics, it was my only option)

Test Shots-3.jpg Test Shots-11.jpg

Test Shots-12.jpg Test Shots-17.jpg

Test Shots-13.jpg Test Shots-5.jpg

Test Shots-7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Awsome! You forgot to mention that you took all of those pics within 5 min without moving 10 feet... "BIRD! BUSH!~ DOG!!!!" lol

RookieDSLR

Here are a couple more but shot at f4 instead of f2.8. Thanks
(Some were severly cropped due to the distance from the subject)

Jeremy V.

Birds-2.jpgBirds-3.jpgBirds-4.jpg(f2.8)

Birds-12.jpg

RookieDSLR

Here are a couple more.....as I continue to use this lens I somewhat discover that I sort of favor my Tamron 70-300mm f4-5.6 a little bit more becuase mainly when the Tamron VC kicks in it really locks where as the Nikon kind of wobbles around in the view finder and doesn't really lock on to anything. I am almost positive I am doing everthing correctly and maybe just have to get used to a little bit of a learning curve for this lens. Oh well I really do like the speeeeeeeedddd of that autofocus!(FAST)

Here are a few more samples:
Bird in Bird Bath.jpgBird on a Branch.jpgTwo Doves on Pole.jpg

Geoffc

Here are a couple more.....as I continue to use this lens I somewhat discover that I sort of favor my Tamron 70-300mm f4-5.6 a little bit more becuase mainly when the Tamron VC kicks in it really locks where as the Nikon kind of wobbles around in the view finder and doesn't really lock on to anything. I am almost positive I am doing everthing correctly and maybe just have to get used to a little bit of a learning curve for this lens. Oh well I really do like the speeeeeeeedddd of that autofocus!(FAST)

Here are a few more samples:
View attachment 30165View attachment 30166View attachment 30167

But the 70-200 has VR. I have one of these lenses and it is fantastic. Anytime I get a bad picture from it I berate the photographer as it doesn't make mistakes :).

Seriously though, something is wrong if you're getting better results with the Tamron. My wife has the Nikon 70-300 and whilst its a fine lens it's not comparable to thev70-200. I've just mated mine with the 2x teleconvertor and it's pretty good although my approach with that is F8 1/800 or greater and no VR.

One thing I would say is that I didn't like the AF on the D600 after my D300s, so much so that I replaced it with the D800. That said the problem would be worse with the slower Tamron. I'm not knocking the D600 it was just a personal experience.

On thing you will notice is everything is much brighter in the viewfinder on a 2.8 and you can really see the effect of VR as it kicks in. It's just not as obvious on slower glass.

Cowboybillybob1

I recently purchased a D600 but did not have any FX lenses except for a 50mm 1.8 Nikon. I needed something to play around with but funds were low after spending $2k on the D600.
I bought a Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro Autofocus Lens for Nikon AF. No VR on this lens but it was only $200!

I got way more than I expected. It is sharp from 70 to 300 albeit a bit slow to focus. Still for the price it can't be beat. I do not see how someone could say it was soft at 300mm. Here ae two photos taken at 300mm, 1/125, 200 ISO, f 5.6.

No art here just examples of what 300mm looks like and it's sharpness.

Having a problem uploading good resolution files. When I get it sorted out I will post them.

Attachments

• 8568909513_13c9aa4fc1.jpg
    8568909513_13c9aa4fc1.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 238
  • 8568909239_d99f223f68.jpg
    8568909239_d99f223f68.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:

NVSteve

With 9 days left on the instant rebate, I have one question. My only concern is how sharp the lens is at 200mm f2.8. I've read a ton of reviews, but none of them are all that consistent. Some say it is sharp, some say it isn't. This holds true for the f4 version I have now, which I have found to be pretty darn sharp at 200mm f4. At this point, I'm planning on trying out the Tamron when it is released next week, unless I can be swayed to the Nikon...

RookieDSLR

I will give you some advice that I learned the hard way, when I first started in the DSLR world I purchased the Tamron 70-300mm f4.5-6 VC and I paid almost $800 for it.....and now they are new for around $400 so in 9mo it has dropped that much, as far as Nikon glass it will always hold it's value if not go up. So my suggestion if you have the money GO for the Nikon glass 10 of ouf 10 times!!!! I will post some 200mm f2.8 pics on here tomorrow with no edit just straight from the camera to let you see what it can do. Thanks for reading my .02 cents

Jeremy V.

NVSteve

I will give you some advice that I learned the hard way, when I first started in the DSLR world I purchased the Tamron 70-300mm f4.5-6 VC and I paid almost $800 for it.....and now they are new for around $400 so in 9mo it has dropped that much, as far as Nikon glass it will always hold it's value if not go up. So my suggestion if you have the money GO for the Nikon glass 10 of ouf 10 times!!!! I will post some 200mm f2.8 pics on here tomorrow with no edit just straight from the camera to let you see what it can do. Thanks for reading my .02 cents

Yes, I totally get what you are saying. That being said, I really don't care what the future price of my used lens will be. As far as I'm concerned, lenses are simply disposable tools to get a job done. If it still works and I no longer need it, I'll sell it & be happy with whatever I get. Don't get me wrong, if I wanted to be brand-centric, I'd stick with Nikon for sure, but after seeing some of the testing of the Tamron out there, I'm getting more and more impressed. I just have a hard time seeing the current $600 difference in price reflected in the IQ of the Nikon. I look forward to some of your 200mm f2.8 samples tomorrow-thanks for doing that!

RookieDSLR

Here is a shot taken at 200mm at f2.8 at 1/80 sec with VR on. I will get some other one outside as soon as the weather decides to coperate. Thanks

Jeremy V

Fierce Candle.jpg