gig tonight tips so stays in me head fresh!!

al84

ok going to shoot me first gig tonight.is a punk gig so gonna be lively so i hoping i get a good spot on side of stage.gonna try keep the iso down low as i can!.prob taking my 50mm f1.8g lens and my 18.55 lens i think.as aint a big place so should be fine !!!cant wait!!

Scott Murray

I had some luck with my D80 and a gig that was held at work years ago. I will see if I can dig up a pic. I used the 50mm 1.4 and 85mm 1.4.

These are a few this was my first attempt. Haven't had a chance since.

5ytygajy.jpg

jusu6aru.jpg

Last edited:

Scott Murray

This may be of help...

Camera Settings:
Every venue is different. Shoot in manual mode only – i usually use manual focus, but that’s not necessary, AF is ok. Open up the aperture as wide as it can go (ideally f1.8 or 1.4 – but you can work with other lenses with more light..flash or ambient)
My usual settings:
- 1/150 shutter
- f1.8 aperture
- ISO 800 or 1600 or 400

Enough to freeze motion, but not override and flatten the ambient light.
If you’re shooting in a venue with absolutely no available light…or in ‘available darkness,’ and you need to use a flash. I normally shoot with direct flash from high above the left side of the camera. (Flash in my left hand) Settings are as follows:
- F8
- 1/250 or 1/500 shutter
- ISO 200 or 400.
- Flash at 1/8th power.
If there’s some cool ambient light going on, try something more like 1/150 shutter, f4, and a really low flash setting (1/64 or less)

al84

them shots aint bad for first time! did you use a triipod or by hand? i like the first pic with the blue light at back of him.how was it shooting with the 50mm? thanx for the info! im hoping some good lighting will be there ! is a punk band so i would think some quick lighting will be going on ect.

Scott Murray

them shots aint bad for first time! did you use a triipod or by hand? i like the first pic with the blue light at back of him.how was it shooting with the 50mm? thanx for the info! im hoping some good lighting will be there ! is a punk band so i would think some quick lighting will be going on ect.
50mm wasn't too bad but I think from memory I used the 85mm a bit more than the 50. It all depends on how close you can get to the band, I had free range and was able to hop on stage. The band is Jebediah, not sure if you have heard of them.

All shots were handheld.

al84

na i aint heard of em mate will look em up!.well the pub i going to holds 220 people i shud have some space to work with i cant see it being packs out.and hopefully be able to jump on stage and take some shots!