SB700 Remote operation

Allen

Ok, so I have looked thru the documentation plus my D7000 manual and I can't find it anywhere... even though I am sure it is somewhere. I am trying to find how to set all this up so I can tirgger the SB700 remotely without having to use the on board flash....assistance would be greatly appreciated.

RockyNH_RIP

I am NOT an expert but I think you have to use the PU to trigger it.. (in commander mode). You can set so it basically does not affect exposure but just acts as the "trigger". The other option is to pick up radio triggers which is what I have done (manual only)

Pat in NH

LouCioccio

If you look further down in the next post I picked up a flash from Calumet the only down side is that it does not have High Speed Sync (FP) but has a high sync speed but I am not sure if my Trigmasters can go that high. I have had success indoors with the Olympus CLS (similar to Nikons) as the IR signals can bounce off walls but CANNOT go through walls. I did have a successful one across a creek about 30 foot just off the right hand side is a flash using cls that is mounted on a light stand with a white umbrella. We are under trees so its it shady.
In Bright sunlight you will need radio triggers. BTW I to wade across the creek for the initial setup. EXIF data should be there.

Ciao,
Lou Cioccio
P7027503bw.jpg

Allen

Thanks all for the advice/guidance.....I missed the instruction to empty the window that has 'ttl' in there....that made the difference. FWIW, I am attempting to take identical macro shots of a flower at slightly different focus points (kind of like layering)..and hopefully using photo merge have a 'totally in focus' shot of the whole flower...not sure about this though.

LouCioccio

tripod..tripod...thats important. Also make sure you camera is level (inline) with the flower no tilt sorry I don't have the right symbol its off by 45º that symbol is the flat plane of the sensor careful line up and you will amaze yourself ∅ .
Also use the self timer if you don't have a remote to reduce camera shake although with flash you should be high enough for shutter speed. Remember on macros the depth of field is shallow and I assume you know that for the multiple times at different focus points.

Have a great shoot.

Ciao,
Lou Cioccio