D7000 Mirror is up or shutter is always open?

Naveed

Hello

i just registered with this site and this is my very first post.

I just noticed that if i looked from front side of lens i can see every thing in frame entering through viewfinder. is it normal or i just got problem?

i don't know i explain good or not so i try in different way
if i want to take a picture i look in viewfinder and i see my subject so instead i see in viewfinder if i stand in front of camera and look inside the lens i can see my other subject also which is standing behind the camera.

is it normal or i got some problem in camera? can any body check in your own D7000 too please

its D7000 with Nikon 24-70mm 2.8

thanks
Naveed

Last edited:

Dave_W

The Dude
Oh my gosh, your camera is completely ruined and should immediately be sent to one of the members here on the board, along with all your lenses. :D

Ha ha ha, I'm just kidding. What you're seeing is exactly what you should be seeing. All you're seeing is the pathway that light is taking to reach your eye. But you can still send your camera to one of our worthy members...if you want! :p

And welcome to the board.

fotojack

Hello

i just registered with this site and this is my very first post.

I just noticed that if i looked from front side of lens i can see every thing in frame entering through viewfinder. is it normal or i just got problem?

i don't know i explain good or not so i try in different way
if i want to take a picture i look in viewfinder and i see my subject so instead i see in viewfinder if i stand in front of camera and look inside the lens i can see my other subject also which is standing behind the camera.

is it normal or i got some problem in camera? can any body check in your own D7000 too please

its D7000 with Nikon 24-70 2.8

thanks
Naveed

Hi Naveed, and welcome to Nikonites. If you would please fill out the rest of your profile with where you are from, it would be much appreciated, as it helps us help you with any questions you may have. Thanks. :)

As for what you are seeing, it's perfectly normal. A DSLR camera works by your looking through the view finder directly through the lens via a prism and mirror setup. It's very different from a Point & Shoot camera.
Enjoy your camera and don't get too caught up in the technical details. :)

Naveed

thanks Dave and fotojack, Dave you are so funny and i like your sense of humor.

thanks for both of you. Now i feel relaxed after your confirmation.

fotojack, sorry i was little upset that's why i was in hurry to post my question anyway now i am updating my profile.

once again thanks to both of you.
Naveed

BackdoorArts

Welcome to the forum, Naveed!! An SLR is a light funnel until you actuate the shutter (or at least lock the mirror up). So in advance, the first time you get weird light on an image when you use a tripod, the light travels both ways and will filter in through the eye piece as well, which is why they give you the cover (I'm overstating it, but the lever for the self-contained eye piece cover on the D800 is worth the price of the camera alone).

Enjoy the D7000. Great camera.